Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hosts file

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:06 PM

Hello! I use Google as my main search engine and not Bing. I tried to make it so that when I typed in "www.bing.com" it redirected me to Google... but how was I going to do that, I asked myself... I thought of the "hosts" file in C:\Windows\System32\Drives\Etc\ and I decided to edit that. I used www.whoishostingthis.com to find out the nameservers of Bing and Google. What I did was I got the IP of Google, and connected all of Bing's nameservers to Google's IP. When I typed in "www.bing.com" it still brought me to Bing's website. I tried changing the IP to 0.0.0.0 - yet I still was able to access Bing.

Any help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DanieI

DanieI
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:13 PM

thROak7.jpg      As you see there, I blocked off www.bing.com and it's name servers, yet I can still access it.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,630 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:42 PM

You need to redirect the connection to 127.0.0.1, not 0.0.0.0, which is the default route on an IPv4 connection.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 DanieI

DanieI
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:48 PM

You need to redirect the connection to 127.0.0.1, not 0.0.0.0, which is the default route on an IPv4 connection.

It still brings me to Bing successfully. IwBX9pj.jpgE5qCH4e.jpg

Edited by DanieI, 17 May 2016 - 01:51 PM.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,630 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:52 PM

I just tried it a few times (on and off), and it worked perfectly fine for me. Which web browser are you using?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 DanieI

DanieI
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:00 PM

I just tried it a few times (on and off), and it worked perfectly fine for me. Which web browser are you using?

Epic Privacy Browser - https://www.epicbrowser.com/

Rated 4 stars - A super secure, Chromium based browser.

#7 DanieI

DanieI
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:06 PM

Actually "0.0.0.0" can also be used to block the website, not only "127.0.0.1" - I was just using a different browser. I guess I should switch back to Chrome. Thanks for the browser idea, Aura.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users