Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updategate: Microsoft to double the number of ads in Windows 10 Start menu

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:49 AM

TIME TO sound the 'Oh FFS' klaxon as developers are told about a nasty little payload in the forthcoming Anniversary Update.

It was explained during a presentation at the Windows Hardware Engineering Conference (WinHEC if you please) that the number of promoted apps (posh phrase, means adverts) in the Start menu of Windows will soon double.

The presentation showed some justifications by outlining changes in the Anniversary Waltz, sorry, Update, due for to release at roughly the same time as Microsoft beginsaccepting compulsory donations towards the upkeep of its ad platform.

The slide claimed that the firm will introduce users and expose them to the Windows Store and allow them to discover and engage with high-quality and locally relevant apps.

That second part is important because these promoted apps, which will appear in tiles, will be personalised, regionalised and managed by a service that will refresh them on a regular basis.

The difference for the end user is also that the number of static tiles in the Start menu reduces from 17 to 12 to make room for the new not-adverts.

The ads can be switched off in settings

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:48 PM

Precisely.  Mine will double from zero to zero, as I turned off my advertising ID as part of setting up Windows 10.

It's impossible for Microsoft to win.  People will complain about things that they cannot turn on/off that Microsoft made that way and they'll complain about things they can turn on/off, regardless of what the default setting is (which any sentient being in this day and age knows in "on" as far as advertising goes).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users