Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install/configure Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Yod

Yod

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:54 AM

I've been diligent about not falling for the Windows 10 'invitation' on my main PC for almost a year. It finally snuck on. OK, might as well configure this thing right.
I've read over the past year that MS turns certain Big Brotherish kinda things on my default - and even hidden some of it/veils some points in clever wording. Sometimes it's blatant about what it uses - when it's outright invasion! I sometimes wonder if the National Spy Agency is pressuring them to pressure us.
I seem to have a 'choice' to use express settings or my own. What's the best way to do this?

Edited by Yod, 17 May 2016 - 11:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:16 AM

I let it default to express settings, then go to Start -> Settings -> Privacy and set the several dozen switches there like I want them.

There has been a huge amount of debate about whether Microsoft is snooping on you with all this or just collecting data needed to improve Windows 10.  To me the suspicion raised could be easily removed if they'd let us see exactly what they're collecting and sending back instead of just listing categories.  They haven't done that, so a lot of folks have become suspicious.  I can see both sides, but don't understand Microsoft's being so cagey about it so I've turned everything off except diagnostic feedback.  YMMV.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:01 PM

I just did the upgrade and left the defaults as is. I know my company has some Surface Pro 4's and MS did a public records request to see how many we have and how we are using them. If they were spying on us they wouldn't need a publoic records request.   We were also audited by Homeland Security for security holes. They were only mentioned Jboss and Tomcat as security threats in their findings.

Edited by orlbuckeye, 17 May 2016 - 12:01 PM.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:18 PM

Make your life easy.

Go with the "on your own" path....

It is ridiculously simple

It gives you the opportunity to Turn Off quite a few "spy areas".....which are a part of the "Big Brotherish" areas.

Doing this at the start will save you going and looking for them on a system which will be unfamiliar for a while.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:40 PM

You should be able to install Windows 10 cleanly from a USB drive.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/operating-systems/1401617/how-to-clean-install-windows-10-and-create-boot-media

I prefer using a USB drive to install my operating systems, but you can install it from your PC simply by clicking the white windows icon in the bottom right of your taskbar and clicking "Upgrade Now".

To have a safer time using Windows 10, go into Cortana and search "Privacy" - Then go into the settings and turn EVERYTHING off. Go into every single category and you shouldn't see anything ticked green. Everything should be off.

Also, in Cortana, click "Stop Getting to Know Me" - It's part of the privacy settings.

windows-10-disable-privacy-concerns.png

Once you've turned everything off including "get to know me (cortana)" in your privacy settings, I'd suggest that you install the following freeware - it will secure your Windows 10 experience.

https://forums.spybot.info/downloads.php?id=55

Once installed, open it up with administrative privileges and click "Immunize". Also, go into "Optional" and apply blocks to everything there too.

Once you're immunized with Spybot Anti-Beacon and turned off everything in privacy settings, you're good to go!

kFzVtnJ.png

:bananas:

Edited by DanieI, 17 May 2016 - 04:45 PM.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:04 PM

oh the joy of installing a windows os....and then needing to turn most of it off in order to satisfy your sense of what s right and what is wrong....acceptable/not acceptable.......

or

you could give Linux Mint a run on a thumb drive, and enjoy the freedom inherent to that os

Yes you have choices in installing windows 10, but as you have already experienced with the win 10 'invasion', they will not give up on losing your private info that easily....the incursion into information on your pc will continue.....you will have to be forever vigilant...always looking over your shoulder.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:35 PM

oh the joy of installing a windows os....and then needing to turn most of it off in order to satisfy your sense of what s right and what is wrong....acceptable/not acceptable.......

or

you could give Linux Mint a run on a thumb drive, and enjoy the freedom inherent to that os

Yes you have choices in installing windows 10, but as you have already experienced with the win 10 'invasion', they will not give up on losing your private info that easily....the incursion into information on your pc will continue.....you will have to be forever vigilant...always looking over your shoulder.

Installing Linux on a thumb drive isn't that simple for most people. In fact, could you lead me through it? :) I'd like to dual boot linux.

Edited by DanieI, 17 May 2016 - 07:36 PM.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:39 PM

Installing Linux on a thumb drive isn't that simple for most people. In fact, could you lead me through it? :) I'd like to dual boot linux.

The proper place for that would be in the Linux/Unix forum. You should start a new topic with your question.

#9 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:44 PM

The proper place for that would be in the Linux/Unix forum. You should start a new topic with your question.

Thanks! :) Will do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users