Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on how to use the internet without leaving a trail?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Thelps

Thelps

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:49 AM

I'm doing a project on how to use the internet without leaving any traces and without being tracked.

The requirements are from a home router with a fixed ISP.

I'm looking for as much in-depth information as to how hide or obfuscate the target machine's data trail so as to effectively put the internet into 'read-only' mode.

I'd like to avoid questions as to why I'm trying to do this or my motives. Suffice to say I have no intent to steal or break the law in any way. Previous threads have been badly sidetracked/trolled by such unfounded accusations.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:14 AM

Boot a live linux disk called Tails but be forewarned, anybody that downloads Tails is immediately put on the NSAs watch list.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2863937/snowden-docs-show-tor-truecrypt-tails-topped-nsas-most-wanted-list-in-12.html

#3 Foldingchair

Foldingchair

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:05 PM

Don't use the internet. That's how you don't leave traces. In all seriousness though, unless you use a VPN of some sort I don't think there's a proper way to not leave tracks. And even then it's not completely waterproof. Really, the only way to not leave any tracks online is to not go online in the first place.

"Peace and blessings be upon you all."

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:40 PM

... obfuscate the target machine's data trail so as to effectively put the internet into 'read-only' mode.

What do you mean with target machine?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 White Hat Mike

White Hat Mike

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:19 PM

Your post is quite suspicious.  I'm sure your previous thread wasn't "sidetracked by trolls"; your initial post gives the vibe that you're looking to cover your tracks while performing blackhat activities.

Information Security Engineer | Penetration Tester | Forensic Analyst

CipherTechs.com

#6 MajesticFailure

MajesticFailure

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:09 PM

Boot a live linux disk called Tails but be forewarned, anybody that downloads Tails is immediately put on the NSAs watch list.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2863937/snowden-docs-show-tor-truecrypt-tails-topped-nsas-most-wanted-list-in-12.html

Why would users of Tails be put on the NSA watchlist? Tails is just Debian with TOR + NoScript + IceWeasel browser, on a live medium. How does that make a person any more criminal than any other VPN / script blocker user?

#7 MajesticFailure

MajesticFailure

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:22 PM

Browsing without footprint? Impossible.

If you're living in N. Korea or some other really strict place, it'd be easier to tunnel into a nicer country and use internet there.

What you maybe should ask is: how to reduce your browsing footprint as much as possible, because you want to access blocked content where there's no good reason for that content to be blocked, or to access adult stuff (inc. gambling sites) where it's nobody's business what you're doing as it's all legal, and you don't really trust the peers you're connecting to, i.e. you're innocent, your activity is 100% legal, but you just don't trust the website owner nonetheless.

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:17 PM

The real cyber terrorist are actually hacking into systems and stealing internet that way their nefarious deeds they do point to the victim and using them as a pivot point. You have to break laws to be totally hidden. That is why hackers do that. You cannot just install tails and believe you're a ghost. Every computer has a digital hardware footprint as well. Any packets enter or exit US to EU or any other country for that matter is already going through a government controlled systems. Internet service providers can be tapped at the ready. At these traffic points they can monitor and do packet injection. Some may even include backdoor shells into the hackers system. LOL how ironic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users