Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

host file

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 puma2004gu

puma2004gu

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:42 AM

hello where is the hosts file?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:50 AM

Hi puma2004gu :)

The hosts file is located in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc under the name hosts. To open it, launch your text editor (like Notepad), with Admin Rights, and open the file from within the application.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:21 AM

The hosts file is located in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc and it's called hosts - It does not have an extension. The file type is "File". 

Here is how to open and edit the hosts file in Windows 7. I have experience - I edit it often and I have Win7 Pro (x64).

-Turn off any real-time protection programs or anti-virus programs (or anti-spyware / anti-malware / anti-adware)

-Type in the following in your Windows 7 start menu and dont click anything yet - notepad C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

-You should see one file with a notepad icon. Right click it and press "Run as Administrator"

-Edit it as you wish

-Press the red "X" button on the top right of Notepad

-Click "Save", which should be the first option in the prompt/dialog box.

-You may now turn on your antivirus program or real-time protection shield, which you should have disabled before doing this process.

Edited by DanieI, 17 May 2016 - 10:24 AM.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:28 AM

Puma, if you are also wanting the host file to do a better job of guarding the gate, consider the free version of SpywareBlaster.  It loads into host all of the known "baddies to avoid" [well, according to its database].

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:33 AM

There is also the well known and respected http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users