Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome Wont reinstall on W10 ASUS Laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Richardf77

Richardf77

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:18 AM

I currently have the use of a newbuild windows 10 ASUS laptop. When it was first purchased Chrome was installed and worked fine. A couple of days ago Chrome started 'misbehaving' (slow to load if at all) and i decided to reinstall it. it would not reinstall. It will go as far as the box that says 'Downloading' and a progress bar and just stops and does nothing until i cancel the process. Tried several times with the same result. Nothing has fundamentally changed with the machine and the Security software is set as it normally is to allow such operations.

The laptop is now left without Chrome until fixed. Other browsers are OK but Chrome is preferred for several reasons.

Any Ideas? thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:47 AM

After doing the normal uninstall make sure any Chrome folders are also deleted as per this guide. Do this for all user accounts.

http://www.wintips.org/how-to-completely-uninstall-re-install-google-chrome/

Edit: This will also delete your bookmarks

They are located in C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 May 2016 - 08:55 AM.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:00 AM

If you want to find out how much is left after uninstalling Chrome, download and install Everything Desktop search which is available in the Bleeping Computer Downloads section here.

After installation, open it and let it load the list.

Then type in Chrome. It will automatically start the search.

Anything you want to delete all you have to do is highlight an entry, RIGHT click and choose Delete.

To highlight more than one entry at a time, hold down the CTRL key and choose the entries.

An advantage of using Everything Desktop Search is you do NOT have to enable Show Hidden Files and Folders or  set Hide protected operating system files to show.

If you want to go to the folder or file you can RIGHT click and choose OPEN PATH.

When I uninstall a program I always use Everything to find the leftovers so I can delete them.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 May 2016 - 10:01 AM.

#4 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for replies. Followed the advice and tried reinstalling. Worked fine. so problem seems to be fixed.

#5 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:46 PM

Try Epic Privacy Browser it's more secure than Chrome by far, comes with a built in proxy that's extremely fast and easy to use, and it looks exactly like Chrome - It's a Chrome based browser. Get it here:

www.epicbrowser.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users