Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Upgrade of Different Machines

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 YanAndrew

YanAndrew

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:36 AM

Hi Guys,

I have to upgrade the RAMs of the machines at work and could do with some advice. Here are some information on the machines:

A. One Lenovo G50-80 80E5 laptop - to be upgraded to 8GB 
(currently has 4GB of RAM, the maximum RAM the machine can be upgraded to is 16GB.)

B. Two Acer Aspire AX3950 desktops - to be upgraded to 8GB
(currently has 2GB of RAM, the maximum RAM this machine can take is 8GB.)

Kindly also note that the RAMs in all machines have never been previously upgraded. This will be the first time.

My questions are as follows:

1. Are RAMs for desktops and laptops all built the same? Or are RAMs for desktops of bigger sizes than those for laptops? This is because I have been told by Acer than the RAM model for my desktop is DDR3 1333 MHz DIMM, and when I searched an online store, I found this RAM model for Notebooks (please refer here). Does it matter whether it is DDR3 1333MHz DIMM or DDR3 1333MHz Sodimm?

2. Does anyone know how many memory slots are there in the Lenovo G50-80 80E5 laptop? And the RAM model for this laptop?

Appreciate any guidance I can get.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Andrew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:12 AM

Hi,

1. Are RAMs for desktops and laptops all built the same? Or are RAMs for desktops of bigger sizes than those for laptops? This is because I have been told by Acer than the RAM model for my desktop is DDR3 1333 MHz DIMM, and when I searched an online store, I found this RAM model for Notebooks (please refer here). Does it matter whether it is DDR3 1333MHz DIMM or DDR3 1333MHz Sodimm?

Sodimm - memory for Laptops

Dimm - memory for Desktops

They are physically different doesn't fit on the slots.

2. Does anyone know how many memory slots are there in the Lenovo G50-80 80E5 laptop? And the RAM model for this laptop?

2 slots. I suggest you open the machine to get the specs of the 4GB dimm currently installed and purchase one with the same specs. Unless you can't find on the market the same specs using a faster one (if supported) will not add nothing because is the lower one that limits the speed used to access the memory.

Most likely the installed 4GB are PC3L-12800 1600Mhz DDR3L SDRAM SO-DIMM 204-pin

Edited by SleepyDude, 17 May 2016 - 04:17 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:59 AM

I think this is the specs page for the laptop, I believe there are two slots for memory, DDR3-SO-DIMM specifically.  As for the desktops, I think those use DDR3-1333 SDRAM.  Some all-in-one PC's use SO-DIMM but most desktop PC's use normal SDRAM.

3939.png

#4 YanAndrew

YanAndrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:32 AM

Thanks Guys.

One more question: does it matter what brand I use? My laptop is currently installed with a Samsung RAM, if I add another brand's RAM of the same specs, would that pose any compatibility issues for the laptop?

Regards,
Andrew

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:57 AM

One more question: does it matter what brand I use? My laptop is currently installed with a Samsung RAM, if I add another brand's RAM of the same specs, would that pose any compatibility issues for the laptop?

Usually the same specs should work, but it's impossible to be 100% sure.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users