Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I remove multiple OS on my PC so I can do a clean install of Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lulucomer

lulucomer

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:51 AM

How do I remove multiple OS on my PC so I can do a clean install of Windows XP? The hand-me-down PC that I just got has 2 versions of  ubuntu OS and 2 versions of something called MEPIS plus it came with Windows XP on it. Also both ubuntu have recovery modes to choose. So when it starts up it has 7 choices to boot from plus 2 memory tests. I would like to do a clean install with XP and get rid of all the other choices. So, how do I go about doing this? I already have an XP DVD to install from and the product key for activation. I know how to do a clean install, I just never had dual OS on the installs I've done in the past

I would truly appreciate any help anyone can offer!

Thanks a bunch,

LuLu

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:32 AM

Have you tried to use the DVD? XP should reformat the entire drive before installing XP.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 lulucomer

lulucomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 03:24 AM

No, I haven't ran the dvd yet. I wanted to make sure there wasn't any special steps I should take first. I have never done a clean install on a PC with more then 1 OS on it. But if you think it will format all of them, I'm gonna go for it. Thanks for your help!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,865 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 03:12 PM

You don't need to format the entire drive.

You should have the option to delete any partitions currently on the drive...then format a partition for the Windows install, with a size you prefer.

IMO...there's little point in formatting an entire drive for the Windows partition...select a reasonable size for the Windows partition, install Windows...then create storage partitions to your liking, once you determine what you want for data storage.

Louis

#5 deronmoped

deronmoped

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:37 PM

I tried to remove partitions and XP does not have that feature built into it. Newer editions of Windows does have the capability of working with the individual partitions. There are programs out there that allow you to work with partitions in XP. 

#6 deronmoped

deronmoped

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:44 PM

You might just take it to a tech and have them wipe the whole drive.

Or, just get a new SSD, you can get a cheap 32GB drive for about $50.00 shipped from Amazon. Mine is a little faster on start up and opening applications.

#7 lulucomer

lulucomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:06 PM

Thanks for all the great advice guys! I decided to just go for it. Once in there, it did offer me the option to format the other partitions, so that's what I did. Now I have an extra drive to install another system! I'm thinking about putting the newest Ubuntu on it  to play with!

Thanks Again!

LuLu the Hillbilly

You can mark this thread as FIXED!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users