Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

making an image transparent

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Gabby218

Gabby218

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:26 AM

I have a photo I would like to 'ghost' onto/into another photograph. I played around with it on lunapic.com but I just couldn't create what I imagined. Does anyone know how I can make an image transparent, so when adding it onto another photograph, it appears transparent? Thanks in advance for any advice!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:27 AM

Change the opacity to a lower number say...20%
Then place it over the other image and save.

#3 Gabby218

Gabby218
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:15 AM

What software would you recommend? Nothing I have offers the option of changing opacity

#4 johnmeehan

johnmeehan

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:46 AM

Have you checked the free version of PhotoFiltre?

http://photofiltre.free.fr/frames_en.htm

#5 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,469 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:24 PM

I use free paint.net
If you are only doing this as a one time thing paint.net may be more than you need.
If you are going to be doing alot of image manipulation then maybe ok.
I'm sure I or someone else will be glad to help you by making the adjustments.

#6 Gabby218

Gabby218
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:23 PM

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but what I need is to make an image  see-thru. So that when I add it on top of regular photograph, the photograph can be seen thru the transparent image. The transparent image has to look 'ghostly'. 
When I try the transparency application on most software programs, all they do is fade the image, it is not transparent. Still needing help and direction! Thanks!

#7 johnmeehan

johnmeehan

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:48 AM

In photoshop you could use the "magic eraser" which would make parts of the image transparent (would show as a black and white checker board pattern) then you can place that image layer on top of whatever image you want as the background without "fading" the image.

Is this basically what you want to do?  And just need to find a program besides photoshop to do it with without having to invest in a program you will not use on a regular basis?

#8 Gabby218

Gabby218
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:32 PM

Here is what I want to do.
I have a photograph of my son holding a rifle that belonged to his deceased grandfather. I have a picture of the grandfather that I would like to 'add' to the photo of my son, sort of in the background like the grandfather is quietly observing, but I want the grandfather to appear see-thru and faint, like a ghost. I do spend a lot of time playing around and editing photos, but have never used photoshop. I wouldn't mind investing in it as I know I'd use it again, but I need to know it will do what I want for this particular project. What do you recommend? I really appreciate your input!

#9 johnmeehan

johnmeehan

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:22 PM

I am by no means an expert on photo editing.  Just tossing possibilities out as they come to me.

After reading your most current post the photoshop idea would not achieve what you want.  It would basically have both images as solid only having the background of the top image eliminated so the bottom image would appear in the areas of the top image that are not transparent.  Though you could adjust the opacity of the bottom image.

For some reason I am thinking that you want something that, in old time film photography, would be like two exposures on the same frame.  The intial exposure being a photo of his grandfather and the subsequent exposure being your son but you want the subsequent exposure to be more prominent.

#10 Gabby218

Gabby218
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:57 PM

Yes, very much like double exposure. Every once in a while you see photos with another image, faint, and transparent, ghosted in. I had some success with the free online program called lunapic.com. I can alter that image of grandfather and drag it around the page, and it IS transparent. Trying to save it and/or set it atop the image of my son is another story! I will keep working at it, and if anyone has ideas, I'd love to hear them!

#11 nullnaught

nullnaught

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:15 PM

Do you use layers.   I think you must.

#12 Gabby218

Gabby218
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:42 PM

Not sure what you mean by layers, but if you mean applying one image on top of another, then yes. I did manage to edit the image to near what I want using lunapic.com, but it requires choosing one color at a time, and it's pretty rough looking, but it's close to what I'm aiming for. Would prefer software that makes an entire image transparent to the same degree, at the same time

#13 nullnaught

nullnaught

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:49 PM

Most all free software of this nature works in layers.        It takes some learning. 

#14 nullnaught

nullnaught

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:53 PM

If you cant figure this out you can send the images to me and describe what you need done..  :)

#15 Gabby218

Gabby218
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:36 AM

Thanks, I think I'm on the right track, just that I'm using a low quality software. What software would you use?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users