Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to upgrade a Dell Precision 390 to run Window 10

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rbakerjr

Rbakerjr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:30 PM

I have a Dell Precision 390 that had some problems.  I asked a repairman to look at it .  He said the motherboard and CPU were fried.

My goal is to get it working and run Windows 10.  I want to repair it myself and replace the mother board and CPU with new upgraded parts or used upgraded parts.  My goal is to get it working and run Windows 10.

My knowledge concerning computers is limited.  Can somebody please tell me what parts I will need to make this upgrade?  Also where is the cheapest and best place to buy the parts I need.

Thanks,

Ray

1/850/682-8327

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:40 AM

A Precision 390 appears to use a motherboard that is a Dell specific variant of the BTX form factor, & any auxiliary circuit boards connected to it (such as the front panel connector/power switch board) are also Dell specific - indeed probably Precision 390 specific & connected by Precision 390 specific cables. The PSU may also be Dell Precision 390 specific, although I suspect it is probably not. .So the only sensible replacement motherboard board is a Dell Precision 390 motherboard, with compatible old Core 2 CPU that will probably just manage run Windows 10 very badly.

As an upgrade project a BTX type chassis is really a non starter as this is not a common form factor, & repairing it is not financially viable unless you already have the parts & are fitting them yourself. I'm afraid I think you need a different project - preferably one with an ATX format case.

(can you tell from the above that in the past I have actually repaired/upgraded a couple of old Dell OptiPlex machines using slightly later Dell motherboards only to find on further checking that other boards & cables in the cases were not compatible with the "new" motherboards & had to be replaced with versions compatible with the replacement motherboard)

Edited by rqt, 17 May 2016 - 03:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users