Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard drive not getting recognized

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ddhruv

ddhruv

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:15 PM

Hi,

I'm using windows 10. I have an external hard drive(1 TB), that doesn't show up in My Computer (This PC). So the deal with my hard drive is this: It was originally an internal hard drive for another laptop, but I used a case and an adaptor to turn it into an external. It still had all the old OS files (That was Windows 10 too). It worked perfectly fine, but I wanted to clear that data and install Linux on it. I formatted the drive, and it cleared all my data as required. It seemed to work fine after that. While I was installing a linux ISO file onto the drive, the install froze so I cancelled it and unplugged the hard drive. The next time I plugged it in, it did not show up under my computer. However, when I go to disk management, it shows up but it is not initialized. When I try to initialize it I get an error "The specified disk is not convertible because the size is less than the minimum size for gpt disks.". When I click on properties for the drive, it says that the drive has 0 capacity. How can I fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:25 PM

Most likely Windows does not detect the drive because it now has a linux file system on it. The easy way is to download Partition Wizard and wipe the drive. On a 1TB drive it will take awhile using Quick Zero Fill. This will give you a clean slate to either reinstall linux or create a partition and format to NTFS.

#3 ddhruv

ddhruv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:04 PM

I downloaded the partition wizard and it doesnt detect my external drive. Any advice?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:41 AM

Attach your external. Open an elevated command prompt. CMD in the search box > Right click run as administrator.

Type the following commands

diskpart           Opens the diskpart window

list disk            Is your external drive listed?  If it is then type

select disk X   where X is the number associated with your external. Make sure you are selecting the correct number as the next command wipes the disk

clean all          this will zero the disk and put it in a clean state.

exit                 exits diskpart

If list disk does not detect your drive then I would download and run Seatools for Windows which will diagnose the drive if detected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users