Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling Xp, Where Do I Get Fdisk?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:44 PM

My fiancee's about to sell her old Dell on eBay and buying a brand-new laptop. I reinstalled the XP operating system over a year ago when we first started going out. I noticed the extra partition that was in her hard drive and figured it was a Dell-installed thing, so I decided to delete it. Bad mistake, it DIDN'T delete it, but instead asked me which drive I wanted to start up from every time I booted it up. It still worked fine, provided I selected the right drive every time (which it did automatically anyway). It was annoying to have that question asked, but now, I REALLY need to delete that partition. I don't want an angry eBayer calling me and saying I sold him/her a crappy Dell. Only way I know how is to completely wipe the drive and all the partitions using fdisk. As far as I know, though, XP doesn't have fdisk, right?

So, where I do get fdisk? Or is there a similar program like Super Fdisk that works fine? Perhaps there's another solution I didn't think of here?

Regards,
Venek
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:58 PM

One more thing...can I use said fdisk utility on a computer with no floppy drive? Can I just burn it to a CD and have the computer read the CD first?

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#3 raresolid

raresolid

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 10:16 PM

Hi there,

First off, no need for fdisk. Tat partition your seeing is a secure zone that dell uses when their customers need to redo their operating system. Similar to Acronis, this secure zone contains all of the image files needed to install the OS the way Dell has it set up.

If you don't want this extra partiton on your hard drive, and windows disk manager cant remove it, then use a program called Delpart (located here http://www.russelltexas.com/delpart.htm)

Delaprt is an easy way to remove almost any partition even if it is locked by a secure zone driver. Make sure to read their instructions carefully otherwise you will delete the other partitions and your current OS wont be any good. Just double check you are removing the correct partition.

I believe they now have the option to make a bootable ISO image so that you don't need to use a floppy disk drive.

Good luck

Rare

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:36 AM

The hidden partition is a Restore partition - why do you feel the need to remove it?
By doing so you are eliminating the ability to restore the operating system to its original factory condition.

Why not just use it, restore the computer's operating system to the original state in which it came when new and delete personal data from the C drive?

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:15 AM

And that way you would have a happy ebayer since he just got an OS with it. Also there is no personal data on this partition just the OS. It's there way cheap way of selling you a pc without a windows disk...

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:40 AM

Here are a few articles that might help you and if you want print them out for reference.

How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP During an Install.
http://www.directron.com/formatdrive.html#3

Dell - Procedures for Reinstalling or Upgrading to Windows XP
http://www.djdenham.com/Install%20Procedures.htm

How Do I Create a CD Containing My Operating System with the Dellô OS Recovery Utility?
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...&dn=1091713

#7 raresolid

raresolid

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:09 PM

Hello again,

First off, he doesnít want that partition on there, as he already said. He wants to remove that partition and install his own copy of the OS so that when people on eBay purchase his computers, they wont know it was built by Dell. Further, if youíre HP, or Dell system did not ship with a restore disk along with you system you need to contact your distributor, or computer manufacturer right away as they are required to send you either a restore disk, or the actual OS disk along with your PC. This does not matter if you are an OEM, Distributor of OEM products ect. The License agreement for these companies requires them to include a disk to recover from and install he OS.... But I donít think heís going to include that.

Let us know how it goes.

Rare

#8 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 06:12 PM

Actually, I didn't know what the Dell Restore partition was at the time I reinstalled it. As a result of trying to delete said partition, all the restore data was deleted. So, it's kind of pointless to try and restore the Dell to its original settings. Besides, any eBayer will know it's a Dell from it's prominent decal on the front.

Thanks for all your help folks, I'll look into it.

Besides, Dell, is making it more trouble than it's worth for those of us who are experienced but not quite expert in computer matters!

Venek

#9 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 06:35 PM

He wants to remove that partition and install his own copy of the OS so that when people on eBay purchase his computers, they wont know it was built by Dell.

Won't they know just by looking at it? Since it has Dell on the computer case? :thumbsup:

#10 raresolid

raresolid

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:28 PM

He wants to remove that partition and install his own copy of the OS so that when people on eBay purchase his computers, they wont know it was built by Dell.

Won't they know just by looking at it? Since it has Dell on the computer case? :thumbsup:

Yup your absolutely right, but I've seen many systems come through my shop that are dell built that donít have the decals on them. Plus, because he didnít want the ebayers to know it was a dell he could have put it in a new case, or removed the decals....

Cool Well hope all works out for ya, and that you can get some real cash for your rig.

Rare

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:32 PM

I don't know if this will work, but try to recover the hidden partition with FreeUnDelete 2.0. It will depend on if you have overwritten the space with in the partition as to whether you will be able to recover your data.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users