Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Revocery Discs not working.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Zuckerton

Zuckerton

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 04:32 PM

So my Grandma's computer started malfunctioning. It would freeze and when I would manually shut it down and turn it back on, there would be no display. At first I thought it was the hard drive, so I installed a different hard drive and used the recovery discs for it. The Recovery Discs worked fine with the new hard drive.

I had it on for 3 days straight before it started doing the same thing. I had concluded that it was the Motherboard, so I ordered a new one and they wanted a 1TB HDD, so I ordered that too. The motherboard I ordered was the exact same one(H-Alvorix-RS880-uATzX) I took off, it just came in today. I put it all back together and when I went to use the Restore Discs, I got:

"the system recovery does not support this computer"

I put the other hard drive back in (the one I used with the Recovery Discs before) and got the same message. This would indicate an issue with the Motherboard, but I'm not sure why as it is the exact same model.

The only thing I can think that might be causing is it the BIOS that is installed, which I can't look at at the moment as I am at work. I searched al around and can't find the BIOS for that motherboard. Foxconn doesn't have the board listed.

If I can't find the issue, the only thing I can do is put in the old motherboard, use the Recovery Discs on it and then install the new motherboard again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:09 PM

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02560084

How come people seeking advice can't list the make and model of the PC?

How come the 'school of lets just replace the part we think is the issue' predominates?  And just how much is granny's PC worth?  Because at the rate you are going I shudder to think how much you will spend before you get around to replacing the PSU.  And no I am not saying it is the PSU, I just suspect it is.  But I'd like to know what I am looking at in a system and do some troubleshooting to eliminate possibilities before buying stuff.  And I'd like to take stock of what you already have available before you spend money.

I guess I can understand the responsibility you have undertaken with granny looking on. 

Who wanted a 1TB HDD?

That is because Foxconn made the MB specifically to HPs specs.  They never sold the MB.

So you want to do a BIOS update on an unstable system?  Exactly how comes to mind as an issue besides the wisdom of doing a BIOS update on a unstable system?

Yes, please do put the old MB back and see if it will at least go back to the original issue so that can be addressed.  I guess before you do this you might as well try a CMOS reset on the "new" motherboard.  See bottom of above link.  Who knows maybe everything will work and you were correct in that it was the MB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users