Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I might be infected but malware scans show that I am clean.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Seasun

Seasun

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:57 PM

Within the last 4 weeks I've been infected 3 times by one of those pop ups that informs you that your system is infected while using Chrome browser. On all 3 occasions my antivirus and malware software were disabled. First and second times, I was able to clean up my system and it worked like new; however after the third time, pages are loading very slowly and at times I get complete blockout where I can't access any webpages. At other times, I am not able to connect to websites such as Amazon, facebook or Thrivemarket but I can connect from my phone or tablet. I would get the following message when trying to connect:

Your Connection is not private:

attackers might be trying to steal your information.... 

My cable company came out, they changed the modem and router but the slowness still persists.

I have Bitdefender which is not finding anything. I have also ran Eset online scanner, Malawarebytes, HitmanPro, Adwcleaner and everything "seems" clean.    

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bentchmark

Bentchmark

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:12 PM

Within the last 4 weeks I've been infected 3 times by one of those pop ups that informs you that your system is infected while using Chrome browser. On all 3 occasions my antivirus and malware software were disabled. First and second times, I was able to clean up my system and it worked like new; however after the third time, pages are loading very slowly and at times I get complete blockout where I can't access any webpages. At other times, I am not able to connect to websites such as Amazon, facebook or Thrivemarket but I can connect from my phone or tablet. I would get the following message when trying to connect:

My cable company came out, they changed the modem and router but the slowness still persists.

I have Bitdefender which is not finding anything. I have also ran Eset online scanner, Malawarebytes, HitmanPro, Adwcleaner and everything "seems" clean.    

Hi!

I am new to Bleepingcomputer, but have been repairing computers for a long time.... when I get a system like you describe, I boot in safe mode, then run RKill, then run ADW and Malwarebytes again.  If they still come up clean, then I suspect I have a rootkit or something otherwise undetectable.

First thing, save all the user-folders (Contacts, Downloads, Favorites, Documents, Pictures, Music, etc).  Save any special program files such as for QuickBooks files from Public/documents, and any other important folders such as c:/drivers and c:/Dell.

Then use an OS install disk, reformat the drive, reboot windows, and then load all your files back on the machine.

And if you already knew this, I apologize in advance for the info.  Otherwise, hope that you are able to get your machine back to normal!

Best,

Bentchmark

#3 Seasun

Seasun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:09 PM

Hi!

I am new to Bleepingcomputer, but have been repairing computers for a long time.... when I get a system like you describe, I boot in safe mode, then run RKill, then run ADW and Malwarebytes again.  If they still come up clean, then I suspect I have a rootkit or something otherwise undetectable.

First thing, save all the user-folders (Contacts, Downloads, Favorites, Documents, Pictures, Music, etc).  Save any special program files such as for QuickBooks files from Public/documents, and any other important folders such as c:/drivers and c:/Dell.

Then use an OS install disk, reformat the drive, reboot windows, and then load all your files back on the machine.

And if you already knew this, I apologize in advance for the info.  Otherwise, hope that you are able to get your machine back to normal!

Best,

Bentchmark

All of those things and steps you mentioned were done,( except running an install disk as the computer did not come with one.) Everything is returning a clean system

#4 Bentchmark

Bentchmark

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:17 PM

Wow!  Sounds like you went to a lot of trouble already!  You should be able to download a copy of your OS from Microsoft.  You will have to have a license key, but that should be attached to your computer in the form of a COA.  The key element of this process is re-installing the OS.  I routinely use this process, as I receive a large number of compromised systems.  My concern with respect to just finding ways to remove the malware, is that they may have compromised the OS in some way.  What version of Windows are you running?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 May 2016 - 09:16 AM.
deleted unnecessary quote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users