Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 in Mac Pro3.1

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rewbarb

Rewbarb

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:48 PM

Hi All,

I have a mac pro 3.1 with a GeForce GTX 570 GFX card and im looking at upgrading. I saw NVIDIA announce the new 1080 and 1070 cards and I was wondering it the 1070 would be an option?

it only needs 150W to run but uses a single 8 pin connector. I know the motherboard can output 150W due to the 2 6 pin connectors but is going through 1 8 pin connector an option?

cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rewbarb

Rewbarb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:04 PM

Would using one of these work - http://www.amazon.com/8-Pin-Dual-6/dp/B00M49SELW/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1463429011&sr=1-1&keywords=double+6+pin+to+8+pin

#3 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 05:45 PM

ya lucky duck!

#4 wharfedaler

wharfedaler

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:28 AM

Hi Rewbarb,

I too would like to do this -BUT - the 1070 uses PCIe 3.0 whereas the Mac Pro 3.1 only supports PCIe 2.0. I suspect this will not be a complete game changer, and hopefully the windows drivers will work ( eventually) to get this card running. The 8 gb vram is just what I want as i hope to use emerging tech with my MP 3.1. Anyone out there know whethe the PCIe 2.0 would create a bottleneck?

#5 wharfedaler

wharfedaler

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:08 PM

Nb - I am a new member so my intro is important.

I am 62 and have been a windows and osx user jointly since osx panther ( crumbs what a long time).As well as having my windows toshiba laptop, I own two Mac Pro 's , one a Mac Pro 1.0 that has been enhanced to a 2.1 using 64 bit rather than the default 32bit. This machine runs my media centre that Wi-Fi's to two mac tv's ,one on the main tv and the second on my bedroom. The second Mac Pro 3.1 is my everyday machine that I use mainly for flight simulation with x-plane 10. Both mac pros are maxed with 32gb ram, the Mac Pro 3.1 using a hd7950 mac edition with 3gb vram. I was fortunate to have retired from the civil service with a comfortable pension, and have paid off my mortgage, so my wife and I spend a lot of time on hobbies. I enjoy working on both microsoft and OsX, but find OsX far easier to use as it is not prone to out of memory errors as experienced on windows and my alternative flight sim program FSX.

So if anyone has advice on the Nvidia 1070 graphics card i would be very grateful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users