Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual boot with Ubuntu?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:57 PM

Hey guys, someone approached me today with a problem, he just got a new hp desktop pc with win10 but had a guy install a dual boot system with Ubuntu. Now whenever he tried to log in he is seeing a lot of "scribbings" and wants to know what he can do to correct this situation. I have never installed any linux system, I only use knoppix, Puppy Linux and Parted magic to do data recovery or formatting e.t.c.

He wants to drop off the pc here for me on Wednesday but since he uses that pc for his work I willonly have one day at the most to correct this problem. What can you guys advise me to do here please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:11 PM

More information is needed.  Perhaps with a picture of these "scribblings" too?

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:49 PM

Ok,I will see iof he can text me an image.

#4 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:37 AM

This is the info he sent me:

Once I turn on the computer at #1 this comes up:

http://imgur.com/9EW7Uc8

I click on ubuntu and this is what comes up:

http://imgur.com/BVHsa7f

This is the message I get each time I press ENTER

http://imgur.com/HfrbaSz

Any ideas please?

#5 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,421 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:10 AM

So the first picture is "grub". That is just the system that allows you to choose which OS to boot. Its installed automatically with any linux OS. If you only run Linux you just won't see it come up.

Now for the initramfs... that isn't good... the install may be borked. It should boot right up to Ubuntu when selected in the grub menu. Since it was a fresh install, I would just do a new install of Ubuntu and call it a day. Not really worth trying to fix it since it was just installed. Its what I would do anyway.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#6 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:23 AM

got it, will do, thanks!

#7 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,421 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:43 AM

No problem, good luck!

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:49 PM

I agree with DC.  If you are to try a new install, IMO do not use the same disk that this was installed with, we'll partially installed with, I'm guessing you won't as it was someone else who did the install.  I believe the iso was corrupted by a bad download or something.

1. Download the iso

2. Check the Hash

3. Burn the DVD or create USB Install media (preferred), and Select Verify in whatever tool you choose to create media.

4. Ask for assistance if needed, or find a good tutorial on "dual booting Ubuntu with windows 10".  

5. No need to Format, that will be done during Ubuntu Install.  Check Format if the option is presented.

pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:03 PM

I am trying to simulate ronald's situation on an older pc. I created a bootable flash drive with ubuntu and installed it on a vista machine to test, was easy but let me ask some questions please?

1] When I power on the pc it goes to the screen where I can either select Vista or not selecting anything it automatically goes to ubuntu's login screen where I enter me password, is this how the dual boot system is supposed to work?

2] If yes to the above, let's pretend that something is wrong with the ubuntu, how do I proceed to reinstall ubuntu please?

#10 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,421 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:16 PM

1. Yes grub will automatically boot the first selection if you haven't made a selection in a certain amount of time (10 seconds or so).

2. I'm not really sure what you are getting at here.... if Ubuntu won't boot it depends on what happened. Some things its easier to just re-install (like what you are doing now).

Edited by DeimosChaos, 17 May 2016 - 03:18 PM.

#11 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:25 PM

Thanks. Since I will need to reinstall ubuntu on ronald's pc, I am attempting to reinstall ubuntu now even though nothing is wrong with it on this pc. I need to familiarize myself with the process here so I insert the flash drive and power on, this time at the ubuntu screen I choose the "Advanced" options, I am seeing 3 options [generic, upstart and recovery mode]. Since I won;t be recovering ubuntu on his pc, I am not understanding how to reinstall ubuntu all over again?

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:14 PM

Thanks. Since I will need to reinstall ubuntu on ronald's pc, I am attempting to reinstall ubuntu now even though nothing is wrong with it on this pc.

Since you are reinstalling Ubuntu Follow this guide, It will show you how to install Ubuntu along side Windows 10 with secure boot on.

http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2015/11/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-alongside.html

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:32 PM

Nick, at the moment he want's to reinstall Ubuntu to the same drive he just installed to on his Vista Test Machine?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:42 PM

Yes Pcpunk I understand that, However installing next to Vista is not the same as installing next to 10 in UEFI mode, I gave instructions on the correct way to install along side Windows 10 because thats what the topic is about,

Edited by NickAu, 17 May 2016 - 10:23 PM.

#15 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:35 PM

Just to clarify guys, looking at that guide [thanks] I think it will be different reinstalling on ronald's win10 machine as opposed to this vista machine so yes looks that guide will address the win10 mahcine. For now though there has to be a reinstall procedure for this vista machine?

Edited by mystic12, 17 May 2016 - 06:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users