Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are Gaming Computers good for Physics Simulations and 3D Rendering?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chief10

chief10

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:20 PM

Hey all, I was hoping someone could help me out with a couple of questions. The lab I work in has tasked me with finding a desktop that is suitable for running a program called COMSOL. I've searched google extensively, and have some candidates, but as I know very little about hardware, a couple questions popped up:

-Are gaming rigs only good for gaming, or are they good for other things, like COMSOL, which is a physics simulator with 3D rendering? The articles I have looked at seem split on this issue.

-When RAM specs are given, is this per processor, or in total? For example, the software requires memory of "4GB per processor". However, most websites list RAM specs as just a single number. So for a quad-core computer with 4GB RAM, is this 4x1=4GB, or 4x4=16GB?

-Why do they list multiple graphics card requirements for the same system? (see below) For example, for Windows 7 it lists Quadro K2000 all the way to 5000. Will I get worse performance using the lower number card, or will it be about the same?

I've never done this before, so any other advice, tips, etc. are much appreciated! Let me know if you need more information to answer these questions. Thanks for the help

The system requirements, (published here: https://www.comsol.com/system-requirements) are as follows:

RAM: 4GB per processor

Storage: 5GB

Graphincs Card:

-Windows 7: (Firepro W4170M or Quadro K5000,4000,2000, or Quadro 600, 410)

-Windows 10: (Quadro K620, GeForce GTX 950M)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:22 PM

For memory, page says:

At least 1 GB memory, but 4 GB per processor core or more is recommended.

So that is 16GB for quad core.

For CPU, "gaming CPU" would be OK unless you need ECC memory.

For GPU, they recommend "professional" cards because software uses OpenGL for some calculations. Card they list they have tested to work with software. Other cards may well work though. Performance depends on what you are doing with that software as not all calculatios are made with GPU.

#3 IWant2Help

IWant2Help

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:47 PM

Yes gaming computers work fine for other tasks besides gaming. I'm not familiar with the professional grade graphics cards however nor COMSOL but since the GTX 950M is listed there (which is a mobile consumer card) i would assume any graphic card would work. But if you need CUDA you'll have to go with an Nvidia card since AMD doesnt support that tech. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users