Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cpu usage 50% continuously

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ibm8999

ibm8999

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:55 AM

Hi

My windows 7 laptop seems to be sluggish.

Eventually I noticed, using Task Manager, Performance tab, resource monitor button, that

svchost.exe, (netsvcs)

is always 50% CPU usage.

Is this normal?

Conditions were:

WiFi off

No connection to internet by cable or any other means.

No programs running.

No windows open, no nothing!

Please help me sort this one.

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,049 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:10 AM

Hi,

If you don't want to connect the computer to the Internet ever disable the Windows Update service is most likely the reason of 50% CPU usage by svchost.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 ibm8999

ibm8999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:20 AM

Sorry if I caused wrong impression.

Yes, the computer was not connected to internet during my investigations as I thought I would eliminate any outside causes.

However, there is no change when it is connected to internet.

So, where do we go now?

John

#4 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:28 AM

- To stop Windows Update. Open Task Manager, highlight the "Svchost" process that causes that high CPU, then right click on "Go to Services". See if the Service "Wuauserv" is highlighted & running. If so, then manually stop that Service. It then will "keep quiet" until the next computer start up.

- Microsoft (MS) has issued a fresh bunch of Updates last week (including a LARGE Win 10 update). That's why it can take A LOT OF time before you're able to update your system. Try it later again. (I have the same problem).

Edited by Willy22, 16 May 2016 - 09:29 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:29 AM

Look in Processes in the task manager and see what is drawing the heavy use.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:15 AM

You can track down the service that is using your CPU by Opening Task Manager. Under the Performance tab press the Resource Monitor button. Click the CPU tab.

In the upper pane look for the process that is using your CPU at 50%. Check the box next to that process. In the lower pane you will see the services and CPU use of each.

#7 ibm8999

ibm8999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:33 PM

Sorry again, I got hyjacked by a large dose of Microsoft updates, about 350MB worth.  I suppose that is to be expected, the laptop hasn't been on for about 6 weeks. By the way, I remember that back then the computer was exhibiting the same sluggishness....oh well.

Anyway, I thank all who have responded today.

After the updates had installed, I checked 'Task Manager> Performance tab>resource monitor button>svchost.exe, (netsvcs)

...(see my original post above) and CPU usage was quite low. (I don't know if any of the updates had anything to do with this).

I shall post back if this changes.

For clarity, it was the process

svchost.exe, (netsvcs)

that was causing 50% cpu usage.

#8 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:45 PM

- Ah, but that low CPU usage is AFTER you installed the Updates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users