Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Making Loading Noise

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Clooney

Clooney

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:43 PM

this just started happening and was never a problem in the past. i did system restore and the computer constantly started making loading noises even when no programs are runnig. its as if the hard drives are at work or something. so i went to system restore and turned it off to see if that was the problem. but it did nothing. the computer runs fine. loading is not a problem, only on games does it seem to show. i have windows xp and i havnt done anything that i know of other than system restore to cause this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:13 PM

By turning System Restore off you have deleted all the restore points so now you cannot reverse what you did.

Why did you do a System Restore in the first place? What problem were you trying to correct?

#3 Clooney

Clooney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:53 PM

i think i deleted something i needed. i turned system restore off because i tried to restore to an earlier point and it still didnt work, thats why i turned it off

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 06:51 AM

Your hard drive will periodically make noises because Windows writes to a paging file on the hard drive when your ram is fully utilized. It transfers data from ram to the paging file so ram will be available for more current functions. It also uses the hard drive for system maintenance functions.

Excessive hdd noise may mean your hard drive is wearing out but some hdd noise is normal.

As far as the games, were these games that ran without problems previously but are experiencing anomalies now?

Games are affected by what speed processor you have, how much system ram, and your video adapter/card's ability to meet or exceed the requirements of the game.

Most gamers set up an additional profile with nothing running in the background if they are using the game off-line, or minimum aps like av and firewall running if they are on-line. That helps the system devote more resources to running the game.

If you look at the packaging that came with the game it will list minimum system requirements - check and see if your system meets these.
Minimum is of course minimum, and hardware that exceeds the minimum requirements will work better, IE, more ram, a graphics card with more and faster ram, more 3d capabilities, etc.

Edited by Enthusiast, 08 August 2006 - 06:53 AM.

#5 Clooney

Clooney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:57 PM

the games, in many cases the same ones i have played before although laggy arnt that much of my concern. i have enough ram and my specs in many cases exceed whats needed. the computer its self sounds like it is constantly loading a page or downloading a game when nothing is even happening. this is why i think i may be lagging more than i did before. it sounds like the computer is working double. thats what im afriad of. i dont want anything to burn out or be over worked. the light on the tower is always flickering and i am afraid for my computers saftey, i just hope it dosnt blow up. so if anyone can throw ideas out that i could try i would appreciate it.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:06 PM

Follow the tutorial here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

Cleaning temp files, defragmenting and eliminating unnecessary startup programs that you don't need running in the background may help reduce some of the strain on the computer.

It is always a good idea to keep your important data backed up. Hard drives last 3 to 5 years on average.

#7 Clooney

Clooney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:14 PM

i did every thing on that list. although i did most of those steps regularly before this problem started it dosnt seem to have any barring on the problem at hand. my computer is not slow, start up is fast, internet works fine.
the noise it is making can be compared to downlaoding a program. no programs are running at all and the computer makes this noise constantly and does not stop. it seems that the only thing that it is effecting is the running of multiple programs. it seems as if the computer has a harder time than it would if the downlaoding noise wasnt there. i appreciate all the help but if anyone could throw some suggestions out it would be helpful. im going to college in a little over a week, and i just want to make sure my computer isnt going crap out when i really need it.

#8 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:18 PM

Check the CPU usage and page file. Some process might possibly be caught in a loop. It's a good idea to keep an eye on these graphs so that you can compare them with your 'norm'.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:27 PM

Do you know what size your pagefile is set for - the rule of thumb is one and a half times the amount of ram although you can set it larger if you regularly use multiple applications.
Go to "Start", "Settings", "Control Panel", "System", "Advanced" tab, in the "Performance" section select "Settings", "Advanced" tab, in the "Virtual Memory" section select "Change". Change the values to:

- Initial size (MB): 1.5 x the amount of RAM in your system
- Maximum size (MB): 3.0 x the amount of RAM in your system (PF Size Limit = 4095 MB)

You can also do a ram test to see if your ram is functioning properly.
RAM tests

http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
http://www.memtest.org/
http://www.memtest86.com/

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:58 PM

the noise it is making can be compared to downlaoding a program.

My computer makes no noise whatsoever when downloading a program. (Or starting one.) If you know what brand of hard drive you have, perhaps you can download some drive diagnostics.

#11 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:58 AM

If the computer just keeps on running and making a noise like it is downloading it also might be uploading. I would suggest running a HijackThis log and have it checked by one of our experts here at BC.

I suggest you post a HijackThis log for examination.
A member of the HijackThis Team will walk you through, step by step, how to disinfect your computer.
Once you post your log, don't make any changes to your system, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

Read Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Please read, and follow, all directions carefully!!!

Then, run a log, and post it in the HijackThis forum, at this link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/ Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, as these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:

Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users