Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Big time help needed

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:53 AM

my win 10 computer did updates about a week ago, ever since then i have been locked out of my computer, when i enter in my password it says "the handle is invalid"

i know im entering it correctly and have tried many times,

i am somewhat tech savvy,

i tried clearing the password using hirens, after i did that the computer booted up as "administrator" as opposed to my normal login name, i still get the same result under the "administrator" login,

i created a bootable win 10 usb stick, from that i tried startup repair, system restore, chkdsk, sfc/scannow.....nothing has worked or changed anything,

i guess my last option would be to reset the computer but i dont want to lose anything,

any suggestions?

should have stayed with windows 7 :whistle:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 granada12

granada12

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:54 AM

I found those solution on the web. Worth the try. Try the hold shift first :P  Let me know if it work.

•  holding shift and clicking restart at the power button.
    And for some reason it started updating my system and now i can just normally log in

Press "Win Key+R" and type "cmd" in the "Run" command box and hit enter to open command prompt.:

Type the command "net user UserName NewPassword", in the command prompt and hit "Enter". If you want to remove this password, just replace NewPassword with *.

Edited by granada12, 16 May 2016 - 08:05 AM.

#3 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:12 AM

thanks for the reply, i already tried both of those, no luck :(

#4 granada12

granada12

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:25 AM

Found this as well. Hope it help!! Just ask if you dont know how to remove update :)

I was not able to resolve this issue until I booted to Safe Mode and removed KB3135173 and KB3124262. After rebooting back in to normal mode, this solved my issue. Not sure which one of the two updates caused it though. If it happens again I'll find out.

Refer to this Microsoft article to know how to start in safe mode.

http://windows.microsoft.com/fr-ca/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

#5 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:45 AM

thanks, but i cant boot into safe mode either, tried all different ways, no luck

it still comes up to the same login screen in safe mode and says "the handle is invalid"

Edited by mikey11, 16 May 2016 - 08:47 AM.

#6 granada12

granada12

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:28 AM

Are you able to reboot in safe mode with command prompt?

If so try this.

wusa /uninstall /kb:3135173 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3124262 /quiet /norestart

#7 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:31 AM

Are you able to reboot in safe mode with command prompt?

If so try this.

wusa /uninstall /kb:3135173 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3124262 /quiet /norestart

i am able to get to a command prompt using my bootable windows 10 usb drive

EDIT.....

tried doing that, it says "wusa is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

Edited by mikey11, 16 May 2016 - 09:55 AM.

#8 TommyBoat

TommyBoat

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:55 AM

I have seen this before ... the login / pw screen may look ad hoc and grainy?    If so, you have a root sector virus which may require an AV read only boot cd, but ultimately may not solve the problem.  My wife downloaded an .exe file looking for a Christmas Winterwonderland Scene for a screen saver. Lo and behold, she downloaded the exe file, without my knowledge, and it locked up the pc similarly to what you described.  Many MALICIOUS websites today will perform this infection via Internet Explorer's active X controls which allow scripts to be run on your PC that certainly infect.  Use Chrome in the future. Why? Because IE is interwoven into your PC's OS

This is one way to solve the problem -- backup files and reload your OS

!!  Unless another Bleeping Tech can perform a root sector virus kill and partition restore (which is a royal pain in the neck to do...) !!

!! Please go that route.  !!

However, it may be easier to just to an OS reload.

How I solved this problem prior, on my pc,  was to remove the hard drive.

Tools:  

A )   A jump drive, 1 TB or less.

B)  A second PC running linux

C) SATA cables which you can plug into your Hard Drive so you can read it as you connect it to 

the jump drive.  This is an example      http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-Converter-Optical-External/dp/B002OV1VJW

Back up your Hard Drive's  folders containing word docs, your websites, your music, itunes, your photos and anything you may think is essential. Don't back up folders containing C\program files\windows since you may need to reload the operating system which has been compromised.   And, your original CDs containing MS Office and other software you have loaded you will need to retrieve.  IF you downloaded software from a thumb drive or downloaded it from a website, try and remember your paths.  Or your friends that gave you software to load.  School teachers are encouraged to bring their work home and are allowed, via MS site license, to load Microsoft Office onto their home PC. If you know a school teacher, you can ask ...

Go to a Test PC running Linux, have your HD plugged in ... back up your folders with your folders containing word docs, your websites, your music, itunes, your photos, excel spreadsheets, intellectual property artwork, writings, notes from notepad   etc

Once backed up, you can begin the process of OS re-installation.   ISO file on DVD,  Fdisk, et al.  Do you have a valid product key?

http://www.howtogeek.com/202590/stop-trying-to-clean-your-infected-computer-just-nuke-it-and-reinstall-windows/

Edited by TommyBoat, 16 May 2016 - 02:35 PM.

R We Good ?

#9 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:43 PM

thanks for that info,

my only option might be to use the reset tool in windows 10 boot i guess,

i removed the hard drive from the computer and hooked it up to another computer, i ran malwarebytes from there and it came up with absolutely nothing, zero, which was a bit surprising, i am currently running an avg scan, will update in a bit

#10 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:54 PM

You can back up your personal data before you do a reset.

#11 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:16 PM

You can back up your personal data before you do a reset.

whats the best way to do that?

the reset should not affect my files and documents, if i select that option, should it?

#12 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:34 PM

A Refresh will keep all your personal data and settings and a Reset will delete everything.

#13 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:17 PM

i dont see a refresh option, i only see a reset option, then it asks if i want to keep my files or not?

#14 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:53 PM

No, you won't see a "refresh" option.  That term is holdover from Windows 8, but keeping your files is in effect, the same thing.

#15 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:54 PM

In case you still cannot boot into Safe Mode

"Refer to this Microsoft article to know how to start in safe mode.

http://windows.microsoft.com/fr-ca/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode"

--- That comes up in French for me: Démarrez votre ordinateur en mode sans échec dans Windows 10

Here is an English version

How to start windows 10 in Safe Mode

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2304-safe-mode-start-windows-10-a.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users