Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Subgraph Os : Is anyone using it?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:33 AM

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone is using or has used this OS and could give me their thoughts/review on it?

I like the sound of it but would like to know if the use of TOR is hard wired into the OS (I like the anonymity but don't like the idea of web pages taking forever to load).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,247 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:52 AM

Subgraph OS is alpha. It has not been security audited, not even by us. There will be bugs, including likely security bugs, and it is unfit for 'real' use.

https://subgraph.com/sgos/download/notes/index.en.html

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:16 AM

Ah okay, I read the following article : http://thehackernews.com/2016/03/subgraph-secure-operating-system.html

Unfortunately it does not mention anything about it being alpha, sorry about that :(

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:16 AM

If you're looking for a Linux OS that's even more secure than most other Linux OS' I suggest Tails.

https://tails.boum.org/

It come with Tor already installed and configured, but I'm not sure what you mean by "hard wired."

would like to know if the use of TOR is hard wired into the OS

Edited by Al1000, 16 May 2016 - 08:16 AM.

#5 MajesticFailure

MajesticFailure

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:32 PM

I don't think you can use Tails as a desktop OS, as it only runs off disc with no persistence l think?

As for TOR, great for adult browsing, but not advisable for anything genuinely high security e.g. online application forms sent to the government with all your personal data on them. If you use TOR with Ebay, you get locked out of Ebay the next day, or something.

I think TOR is also used for dark internet. I've never tried.

Edited by MajesticFailure, 16 May 2016 - 12:42 PM.

#6 MajesticFailure

MajesticFailure

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:39 PM

Subgraph OS looks really good btw, but I'd wait a while first, in case there's some outcry as there has been in the past over so-called secure distros that turned out to be a bit shady. What ever happened to Qubes OS? It's still going strong, but nobody mentions it anymore. It's endorsed by some big names, as well as a lot of guys fawning over the woman who founded the project. I don't understand why Qubes and Subgraph both carry endorsements by Edward Snowden. I want a secure OS to avoid getting hacked, not to avoid the law. Snowden is in a heap of serious dog-doo and I don't want any of it.

#7 Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:53 AM

It come with Tor already installed and configured, but I'm not sure what you mean by "hard wired."

Already installed and configured is what I meant by "hard wired", I would like an option to use it or not use it (I do not like Tor and would chose not to use it).

I am looking for security over say, privacy (but I guess you could argue that security is increased with increased privacy protection) and have not really found a distro that focuses on security, they all seem to want to focus on privacy.

Edited by Agent_Orange, 17 May 2016 - 02:54 AM.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:09 AM

Already installed and configured is what I meant by "hard wired", I would like an option to use it or not use it (I do not like Tor and would chose not to use it).

I am looking for security over say, privacy (but I guess you could argue that security is increased with increased privacy protection) and have not really found a distro that focuses on security, they all seem to want to focus on privacy.

Compared to the four pane OS that now with their latest release, the boot screen looks like a dungeon with the light coming through, most any Linux distro is built with security in mind & far more preferable. If a distro based upon Ubuntu (there's many, with Linux MInt being the most popular based off the OS), then all you need to do is open the Terminal & copy/paste the following code, press Enter and your password when prompted. 

sudo ufw enable

That starts your Firewall service & it's there at boot, in addition to any NAT based hardware Firewall that's in your router, if configured. Network security is also still important for Linux users, as well as any OS, so it's best to look at your router settings & disable any that's not needed. Examples are remote administration & UP&P. Unless needed, both needs to be disabled. Any default passwords needs to be changed, and a complex one used, containing upper/lowercase letters, numbers, and at least 2-3 of these keys ~!@#$%^&*()_+. One can be creative with these to help remember. If these needs to be written on paper, be sure not to store in the same room as the modem, router & usually where the main PC resides, and no one except you have access (or knowledge) of it's presence or location. 

I haven't used Tor, nor care to, because sometimes this can have a reverse effect, depending on where one lives. Example, in the US, the NSA, FBI, CIA & other Federal agencies (including military) also uses Tor, yet those who are looking to commit harm to us does also, there's no such thing as 100% bulletproof transparency or privacy on the Internet with one's own hardware. If I don't want it known, no matter the search engine, or browser, will never post the information period. That's as private as it gets. 

Therefore, because I have no need for Tor & just want to perform a safe search now & then, will use the DuckDuckGo search engine. That gives an honest person enough anonymity w/out the need for Tor. :)

As for the OS mentioned, since it's alpha, it's not considered safe for everyday use, only as a testing one, usually for those working to assisting with development & reporting any bugs. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,700 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:12 AM

There is a crossover between security and privacy. Here are the Top 5 Best Security-Centric Linux Distributions Of 2016 from tecmint.com, and you'll notice Tails at the top of the list.

I personally use a Linux Puppy CD (link in my sig) for when I want security for internet banking and shopping etc. Puppy CDs are multi-session so the software can be updated. You're not stuck with an old version of an internet browser like you are using other live Linux distros. Security wise, the main disadvantage with Puppy is that it's not a multi-user system so you run as root all the time, but because I'm running it from CD I consider it to be secure enough for my requirements.

As far as installing a distro goes though, I am not aware of any that are more secure than the others. Linux is pretty safe as it is anyway, the main reason being that more or less all malware is written to compromise Windows.

Edited by Al1000, 17 May 2016 - 11:15 AM.

#10 Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:58 PM

Thank you all  for your responses , they are all very helpful.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:22 AM

Agent_Orange you're quite welcome! :)

When you decide on a distro & need assistance in getting setup, we're here for you. :thumbup2:

Good Luck!

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 Codaeus

Codaeus

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 06:00 PM

If you're looking for a Linux OS that's even more secure than most other Linux OS' I suggest Tails.

https://tails.boum.org/

would like to know if the use of TOR is hard wired into the OS

Additionally, there's Parrot Security OS, Kali Linux, NetSecL, & Toorox.

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 05:35 AM

Additionally, there's Parrot Security OS, Kali Linux, NetSecL, & Toorox.

True security isn't only the computer or OS itself, rather the outbound traffic encrypted to prevent one from intercepting the data & being able to read it, especially when using a wireless connection, plays a huge factor. 

If this is built into the four OS's above, then that's good, if not, one's outbound traffic is no longer secure once it leaves the computer. Unfortunately, few VPN's exists for Linux users, though there's likely some choices, out of all I've seen on promo, none were Linux compatible. :(

Though I imaging that there are ways to have end to end encryption w/out a VPN, as there's many widely unknown features in Linux that may can be used at no cost to do the same.

Cat

#14 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2016 - 04:46 PM

I have to agree with Al here.

Puppy is pretty secure as it is. I know most other distro fanbois look down on it with horror for running as root all the time.....but most Puppy users tend to use their machines by themselves, are usually well-versed in Pup's foibles, and know all the 'tricks' to make it even more secure 'on-the-fly' (with which Puppy is well supplied, trust me; you wouldn't believe some of the utilities that various Forum members' fertile minds have come up with over the years..!)

[This is one of the marvellous things about Puppy; just about all the smaller apps/progs/utilities are not written by a remote 'team' somewhere, oh no; they are almost all, without exception, actually developed and written within the community itself. The Puppy grape-vine is an astonishing thing to see in action..!:)

For those of you who are mystified by the running-as-root thing, have a scan through this, which will explain BK's thinking behind this issue:-

http://barryk.org/puppylinux/technical/root.htm

Ergo sum. I rest my case, m'lud.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 04 November 2016 - 04:54 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users