Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is "SlimAV" an actual anti-virus? Or did one of my friends fall for a scam?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 elig0s

elig0s

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:16 AM

I have a friend who says that their husband was called and blah blah blah install this software to protect yourself.  Now all of my red flags are going nuts, but I can't find anything about the software. 

Does anyone have any information about this company?

Is it legit anti-virus?

www.slimav.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,946 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:46 AM

SlimAV Features
SlimAV EULA

The application avinfo.exe, “SlimAV Antivirus Information Tool” by Slimware Utilities Holdings has been detected as PUP.SlimwareUtilitiesHoldings.Optional.

Slimware Utilities Holdings, Inc
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:28 AM

It is crap, remove ASAP.....

(how do people still fall for installing stuff that random folks on phone calls ask them to install .....in 2016?)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:56 AM

I agree.  Something similar happened to my sister.  It wasn't SlimAV but the point is people are just too gullible.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,946 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:07 AM

That's what happens when folks fail to do any research...even a simple Google search.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 EimGhey

EimGhey

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:13 AM

That's what happens when folks fail to do any research...even a simple Google search.

Yeah but then there are the times that a simple Google Search will lead to the wrong answer.. The fact is Spy Hunter 4 is still the first thing which shows up in many searches when you google how to remove adware and then there is what shows up when you try to remove Spy Hunter... I got even more garbage on my computer trying to remove due to non of the internet solutions worked...

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:20 AM

:thumbup2:

Yeah but then there are the times that a simple Google Search will lead to the wrong answer.. The fact is Spy Hunter 4 is still the first thing which shows up in many searches when you google how to remove adware and then there is what shows up when you try to remove Spy Hunter...

If you use WOT, you'll be able to easily and readily identify and avoid risky sites such as Spy Hunter 4/Enigma.  WOT ratings are based on what other users say, so it isn't always right but it will save your bacon more times than not.  Once again, if you do some research, you will find software that will do a similar job.  There's almost no excuse not to use something that can give you site ratings.

#8 EimGhey

EimGhey

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:39 AM

:thumbup2:

Yeah but then there are the times that a simple Google Search will lead to the wrong answer.. The fact is Spy Hunter 4 is still the first thing which shows up in many searches when you google how to remove adware and then there is what shows up when you try to remove Spy Hunter...

If you use WOT, you'll be able to easily and readily identify and avoid risky sites such as Spy Hunter 4/Enigma.  WOT ratings are based on what other users say, so it isn't always right but it will save your bacon more times than not.  Once again, if you do some research, you will find software that will do a similar job.  There's almost no excuse not to use something that can give you site ratings.

Finally something to make the internet safer... I will try it!

But you do realize not everyone knows about apps like that!

#9 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:03 PM

But you do realize not everyone knows about apps like that!

I do.  However, if a user has a sincere and serious interest in their own safety, they would put in the time to research ways to keep themselves safe.  I guarantee then that they will eventually discover these things for themselves.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:32 PM

I do.  However, if a user has a sincere and serious interest in their own safety, they would put in the time to research ways to keep themselves safe.

True that research is useful.

However, there are so many shady products which purport to "keep you and your computer safe" that someone may try and not realize until after the fact that the program is not good.

For those who really do not know how to discern between the good and the bad, it will be a problem.

If it is a product they paid for, the only winner is the company that took your money.

I would much rather someone ask questions about products and programs they find on the internet and be able to save them from the aggravation caused by those programs by telling them STAY AWAY FROM PROGRAM/PRODCUT XYZ.

#11 EimGhey

EimGhey

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:35 PM

I do.  However, if a user has a sincere and serious interest in their own safety, they would put in the time to research ways to keep themselves safe.

True that research is useful.

However, there are so many shady products which purport to "keep you and your computer safe" that someone may try and not realize until after the fact that the program is not good.

For those who really do not know how to discern between the good and the bad, it will be a problem.

If it is a product they paid for, the only winner is the company that took your money.

I would much rather someone ask questions about products and programs they find on the internet and be able to save them from the aggravation caused by those programs by telling them STAY AWAY FROM PROGRAM/PRODCUT XYZ.

They should teach consumer smarts in school if we are going to live in a buyer beware market!

#12 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:02 PM

@EimGhey: Many businesses employ Search Engine Optimization that takes advantage of Google's search engine shortcomings.  Through the aggressive use of SEOs, a non-existent product/service could artificially be made to appear quite prominently in any Google search.

@Agouti: Unfortunately the crowdsourcing basis of the well intentioned WOT can easily fall victim to poisoning by ne'er-do-wells and worse.

It's the Internet folks!  Caveat emptor

Edited by 1PW, 16 May 2016 - 01:10 PM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#13 EimGhey

EimGhey

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:32 PM

@EimGhey: Many businesses employ Search Engine Optimization that takes advantage of Google's search engine shortcomings.  Through the aggressive use of SEOs, a non-existent product/service could artificially be made to appear quite prominently in any Google search.

@Agouti: Unfortunately the crowdsourcing basis of the well intentioned WOT can easily fall victim to poisoning by ne'er-do-wells and worse.

It's the Internet folks!  Caveat emptor

The fact is predatory schemes seem to be common on the internet... We need more ways to protect ourselves from them! 

#14 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:06 PM

Long ago, I took the time to educate myself and I continue to keep abreast of how to keep safe.  Knowledge and the application of that knowledge, is what keeps me safe.  If it works for me, I don't see why it cannot work for others.  However, if you are the gullible type who believes every advertisement or false promise, then nothing might protect you from yourself.  I have a sister like that and I cringe at the things she might be buying into every day.

And yes 1PW, I did mention that WOT might not be always right and I accept that, but I would continue using WOT unless you can suggest something better that I can use in its place.

Edited by Agouti, 16 May 2016 - 02:07 PM.

#15 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:34 PM

snip, snip... but I would continue using WOT unless you can suggest something better that I can use in its place.

I agree. I do too.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users