Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

download and read emails OFFLINE

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:56 AM

I tried this in Gmail and it did not work.

I opened a GMail inbox, opened an email message  (done in Google Chrome browser), opened the browser menu, More Tools..., Save Page As..., allowed for *.html type, clicked SAVE, and then went to the file in the downloaded filepath.  I double-left clicked and an Edge browser window opened but it was just a blank white file showing nothing.

HOW DO I DO WHAT I WANT?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:17 AM

Have you tried opening the saved file with Chrome?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 967 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:24 AM

I will try opening the file in Chrome right now!

No option for this.

Chrome has no item in the menu to Open a File...

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,223 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:28 AM

Can you right click on the file and Open with...

Edit: are you using Google Chrome without it being the default browser?

Edited by Platypus, 16 May 2016 - 01:28 AM.

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 967 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:32 AM

I put in the full path into the address bar, Chrome browser.  

NOTHING.

Just a white tab and no information displayed.

First part of the path is like this:   file:///C:/Users/Admin/Documents/     and then the file name.

#6 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 967 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:37 AM

Edit: are you using Google Chrome without it being the default browser?

Yes.  The default browser is Edge.  ( I do not really want to change this, and I believe it should make no difference).

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,223 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:08 AM

Presumably nothing is being saved into the file. I would open it in Notepad and see if there's any HTML or other text there.

#8 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 967 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:58 AM

Did so in Notepad.  The file showed a gigantic completely unformatted mess of text.   Some of the beginning of it looks like this:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en" class="aAX"><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"><style>.gsoi_w{background:transparent url("https://ssl.gstatic.com/cloudsearch/static/o/d/0014-8437y435b87fb74bc83b83n8g78/icons.png") no-repeat 4px 0;background-size:16px;height:16px}.gsoi_x,.gsoi_xu{background:transparent url("https://ssl.gstatic.com/cloudsearch/static/o/d/0014-8437y435b87fb74bc83b83

...but there is much, much, much more text following that.

Edited by cafejose, 16 May 2016 - 02:59 AM.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,223 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:27 AM

I don't run Chrome, but I just tried doing that in FireFox, and it saved a file similar to your description, which is what I'd expect. The file displays fine for me, (naturally it's a snapshot of the page displaying the visible portion of the email, not the complete email content). But as for why it's not working for you, I'm not thinking of much so far. Just to be sure you could try opening the saved file in yet another browser such as IE, or use IE for the save procedure and see what it does.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,223 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:36 AM

Have you thought about downloading the emails into another email client:

https://support.google.com/mail/troubleshooter/1668960?hl=en&rd=1

#11 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 967 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:29 PM

Have you thought about downloading the emails into another email client:

https://support.google.com/mail/troubleshooter/1668960?hl=en&rd=1

Yes I have thought of that.  I tried taking them into Thuderbird and Opera Mail/Opera, but then I never gained the competence with the email clients to know how to actually open and read the emails after that.  I only figured how to read emails while still online.  I seriously could use thorough instruction on how to properly use Thunderbird.  I tried an internet search and never really found anything solid and thorough.   I wish I could just turn on Thunderbird, click on "Get Mail", wait for the emails to download, and then just go to the OFFLINE inbox and read any email and to know exactly what folder path and extension I can find each email.  I also would want any hyperlinks in emails to not be broken, so that in case I want to see/click on any, at least they would open into the computer's default browser.

I am really not too good at using Email clients.  No instruction textbook how to learn them.  

#12 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 967 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:30 AM

Email for an account can be downloaded using Thuderbird email client.  Must the emails be read only in Thunderbird?  Can they be opened and read in another email client, or must they also be setup for the other email client to be read in that one also?  Can these downloaded emails be opened and read in a browser if only downloaded with Thunderbird?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users