Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean Install After Ransomware

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 jerryandtabatha

jerryandtabatha

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:01 PM

I am running a Win XP SP3. We had ransomware (crptyolocker) about 6 months ago? and I deleted all the files that were infected. And ran a series of different scans to "clean" the pc. Then I was directed to install CryptoPrevent, which I did.

Now, today I am held ransome AGAIN. I do not know if it is the same person or not. Thankfully there are no files on my computer. This computer is solely used for internet use and there may be a few games on it. Thats all.

At this point I want to reinstall win xp (also am having other issues, maybe the cryptolocker affected windows files?) and do a clean install however i do not have a disk BUT i do still have the win xp product key that is on the side of the tower.

Oh- Before this "attack" I have ran Avira, Malwarebytes, Spybot,Ccleaner, JRt and adwcleaner. Malwarebytes would popup a warning that a specific outgoing IP address was blocked (i had NO browsers open) which was strange.

So if anyone can help please advise me on what to do,,,,ill be right here :)

Edited by hamluis, 16 May 2016 - 10:38 AM.
Edited topic title to reflect issues - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:10 PM

I know of no legal downloads for XP. You would need to purchase a disk on ebay from a high rated seller. Because you are only using this computer and a few games I would recommend you avoid this heartache and install linux on the computer. If it has at least 1GB or RAM and a decent processor you should have a good running system with a almost zero chance of getting ransomware on it. As XP is no longer supported, it will only be a matter of time before you find yourself in the same situation.

For a person moving from XP I would recommend Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.2 LTS 

https://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=25

Here is a video on Mint 17.2 Cinnamon. Steam games are available on linux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCxcjHjmjDA

#3 jerryandtabatha

jerryandtabatha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:21 PM

I know of no legal downloads for XP. You would need to purchase a disk on ebay from a high rated seller. Because you are only using this computer and a few games I would recommend you avoid this heartache and install linux on the computer. If it has at least 1GB or RAM and a decent processor you should have a good running system with a almost zero chance of getting ransomware on it. As XP is no longer supported, it will only be a matter of time before you find yourself in the same situation.

For a person moving from XP I would recommend Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.2 LTS 

https://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=25

Here is a video on Mint 17.2 Cinnamon. Steam games are available on linux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCxcjHjmjDA

Okay i am willing to do that. This is actually my moms computer, the only games she plays is the stuff you buy from Big Fish Games. Will a Pentium4 cpu 2.80 ghz and 1.49 Ram do?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:24 PM

That would run it well. Download and burn the iso file. Boot the disk and you can run it from the disk and RAM to see how you like it. There is an icon on the desktop that allows you to install it to the hard drive. When you create a user account during the install give it a good password.

#5 jerryandtabatha

jerryandtabatha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:28 PM

That would run it well. Download and burn the iso file. Boot the disk and you can run it from the disk and RAM to see how you like it. There is an icon on the desktop that allows you to install it to the hard drive. When you create a user account during the install give it a good password.

Ok should i get the 32 or 64 bit? And do i need a program to burn it in an ISO file?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:42 PM

For your computer use the 32bit version. If you download it on a Windows 7 or later computer you can right click the iso file and select Burn Disk Image. If you have a Vista computer you can use Imgburn but opt out of any optional programs it offers. 

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/61-how-to-write-an-image-file-to-a-disc-using-imgburn/

If the computer supports booting from a USB flash drive you can use Rufus with the iso to create a bootable USB flash drive. Attach your flash drive and run Rufus. Make sure your USB flash drive is listed. Use a MBR partition scheme. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is listed in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Mint iso file. Press Start. Backup any data on the flash drive.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:13 PM

jerryandtabatha, does the computer have a recovery partition you can use to re-install XP if you want to go that route?

You have expressed an interest in trying Linux.

As JohnC_21 said, give it a try using the disk. If you like it enough to want to install it and have questions we do have a Linux/Unix forum where there are people who can help you.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 May 2016 - 09:16 PM.

#8 jerryandtabatha

jerryandtabatha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:35 PM

For your computer use the 32bit version. If you download it on a Windows 7 or later computer you can right click the iso file and select Burn Disk Image. If you have a Vista computer you can use Imgburn but opt out of any optional programs it offers. 

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/61-how-to-write-an-image-file-to-a-disc-using-imgburn/

If the computer supports booting from a USB flash drive you can use Rufus with the iso to create a bootable USB flash drive. Attach your flash drive and run Rufus. Make sure your USB flash drive is listed. Use a MBR partition scheme. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is listed in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Mint iso file. Press Start. Backup any data on the flash drive.

Ok I had to download and burn it on a DVD disc from a windows 8.1 pc. However it wont boot on the XP machine and I verified that boot from disk is first before harddrive. I had to burn to dvd becsause the CD_R disk I have has insufficient space.

jerryandtabatha, does the computer have a recovery partition you can use to re-install XP if you want to go that route?

You have expressed an interest in trying Linux.

As JohnC_21 said, give it a try using the disk. If you like it enough to want to install it and have questions we do have a Linux/Unix forum where there are people who can help you.

Unfortunately it doesn't. :(

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:44 PM

I would burn the iso no faster than 4x using Imgburn. Does the computer support booting from USB flash drive? What is the make and model of the computer with XP?

#10 jerryandtabatha

jerryandtabatha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:44 PM

I would burn the iso no faster than 4x using Imgburn. Does the computer support booting from USB flash drive? What is the make and model of the computer with XP?

Dell Dimension 4700

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:59 PM

If you tap F12 at boot does it let you select your DVD drive as the boot device? This computer should let you boot from a USB flash drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 May 2016 - 09:59 PM.

#12 jerryandtabatha

jerryandtabatha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:14 AM

Ok I got it to load and install. Any questions I have now will be in the Linux section. Thanks so much for your help!!!

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:47 AM

No problem and thanks for the update. Good luck with Mint.

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:01 PM

Hi.

Ok you got it installed, say good bye to ransomware malware and viruses, Please start a new post in the Linux section where we can advise you on what to do next.

Regards

Nick

Edited by NickAu, 16 May 2016 - 05:11 PM.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:40 PM

To avoid confusion (this topic has been resolved), this topic is now closed.  Please follow the suggestion by Nick to initiate a topic with any questions/issues re your linux install.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users