Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Adapters Etc...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 blahblah

blahblah

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:05 PM

I have a simple question. I'min the process of building a new pc. Unfortunately I dont have all the parts. My question is twinfold and centers around the monitor. My new motherboard has a serialport only. I think. It has 2 rows of prongs 5 and 4 a piece. I currently have a crt....but plan on getting a lcd in 2 weeks.How do I hook eitheronew up. I've never seen an lcd so dont know. Do I need an adapter for the crt in the mean time/ What is the adapter called/ As you can see my compter is on it'slast legs and the keyboard doesnt work and I need help. New egg has been less than helpful.

thanks....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:20 PM

You'll need to check when you get the new monitor...
Most new mid-high end Video Cards come standard with DVI-I connections (Digital Video), but *usually* supply an adapter to go from DVI to analogue (such as the standard monitor port).
I'm not too sure if they go the other way (analogue to DVI), but if you get a monitor that has both DVI and analogue connections (most that have a DVI connection will also have analogue, but some analogue monitors (LCD only) do not always have a DVI connection) you should be right!

Hope that helps!! :thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 blahblah

blahblah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:45 PM

Well I can say this my cheapo new graphic card had a dvi-i. Althoughit says option on the box which confuses me. It would be nice to have everything in front of me. i'm unfamiliar with these terms. I'mmore intuitive when I have all the necessary things about me. On my new graphic card it alsohas a jack with an s....Unfortunately the likes of new egg dont take high resolution photos for the novices to see. The supplied cables with the monitor I'm looking at might as well be rope. I tell yeah why cant computer manufacters get together and create some universal connections. I'm imaging a guitar player like myself having to purchase a special cable to plug his guitar in...or perhaps I need special fiber optic string cables or my Martin wont work...

Thanks I'm begining to see the picture....

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:56 PM

You will need additional cards to use those things too.

#5 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:01 PM

The jack starting with s, is probably s-video, which allows you to connect to things like VCRs, or devices that have RCA outputs...
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#6 blahblah

blahblah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:28 PM

Okay I understand the s output....the other output would connect to an lcd/ The lcd I was looking at has two cables included. one seem to correspond to the larger output while the other corresponded to the blue smaller output which to my blurry eyes resembled a normal printer output. The graphic card I purchased did not have this but it should be good for the lcd I would think.....there has to be some simplicity here.

#7 blahblah

blahblah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:31 PM

You will need additional cards to use those things too.

just to use an lcd/ I'm begining to forget about my crt. I have visions of a sledge hammer.....

#8 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:35 PM

Yeah the LCD will have both DVI and analogue by the sounds of it (DVI usually white, and analogue blue). And you should be able to use it with your graphics card regardless of which connection it has (because the LCD monitor is dual input type)
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#9 blahblah

blahblah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:42 PM

okay...i'll have to wait till next payday to order one but I understand now. I'm just not uptodate on computers. I currently have a 566 celery processor. I'mjumping to a p-4 3.2....Don't worry I have an e-pen. But I truely appreciate taking the time to help a novice out.

thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users