Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound recorder... disappeared

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Barnack

Barnack

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:18 PM

Hi all.
I'm using a full windows 10 installation (not an upgrade). I needed to record from mic, checked from start bar and i got the new app, voice recorder. It gave me error while saving. Then i noticed another sound recorder, little little hiding there. I opened it and it was the default windows 7 sound recorder (and for instance it seems to me that old good ".exe"s work far better than new  horrible  apps :) ).
anyway, i used that one and it worked properly. Then i closed it. Was going to open it again and guess what? it vanished!
i was like

(1 minute of silence)

^i think you got the idea.
Anyway i've done a little search in internet and i've found out 2 things:
1) that recorder exe shouldn't even have been there, since it's not included in windows 10 default files. (but meh it was, i've used it!)
2) noone apparently ever had a similar problem.

So my question is:
How could it disappear like that? And how can i recover it? (don't tell me to use the new app pls -.-)

EDIT:
 i'm used to like windows over linux and mac, i still like it over but they all together falling always lower -.-
Why did microsoft ruin a whole world of perfectly working nice executables bringing out  horrible apps? why? What's that groove? i want my WMP back (restored)! what's that i-don't-even-know-how-it's-called picture viewer? i want my windows image viewer back! (i've done that too, but it was hard).

I mean think about the image viewing default app. The old one had all buttons near (next, previous, slideshow). It was perfect. The new one has buttons on opposite sides of the screen- PERFECT! but we are not going to install windows only on  touch devices! Can i use my mouse pls? at least leave it to me as an option, i don't want my arrow to be shoot through sides of the screen only to go to  next image!
And what to say about that 1-2 seconds blue screen on every single app? You need to calculate something? Sure i open calculator. Oh wait, the new one wants you to sleep for 2 seconds before it changes from a blue rectangle to the actual calculator. Because you haven't a life with something else to do, right? I mean the new programmer mode is useful, but why the  do i have to wait your  blue rectangle!!!

EDIT2:
sry but i had to complain somewhere, forgive me if it ended up to be here. Still waiting to an answer to the main question :)

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 May 2016 - 08:52 PM.
language edit.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:08 AM

Difficult questions take longer to get replies - sorry for the wait.
I don't know if I can help - but as there's been no other replies, I'll give it a try.

Look in:  C:\Windows\system32\SoundRecorder.exe

Is the exe there?  Does it work?  If so, right click on it and select Sendto...Desktop (create shortcut)

It shouldn't be there on a clean install of W10 - but you never know.  Maybe another program embedded it in it's installer?

If not, I have no clue where it might have gone.  Things don't disappear randomly - so something had to make it go away, but I just don't know what that was.

Why did Windows bring out apps?  Because the consumer demand is for apps, and Microsoft is a business - so they try to give the consumer what they want.

FYI - I hate apps and refuse to use them as much as is possible.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:31 AM

I think the image viewing application you are asking about is probably "Windows Photo Viewer" - it can be restored to Windows 10 & requires only a registry modification to achieve this. I found the registry mod on another forum & they have a small file that you can load that does the mod for you.. As it's another forum won't link to it here, but if you google "Windows 10 forum" and "Windows Photo Viewer Windows 10" I'm sure you will end up in the right place - I've done this on all my machines as Windows Photo Viewer suits me & the "Photos app" does not (particularly the mouse wheel zooming feature).

Edited by rqt, 17 May 2016 - 09:32 AM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:38 AM

rqt, there is nothing wrong with linking to another forum IF it contains the answer to a question/steps that can be taken in an effort to resolve issues.

I found the registry hack for Windows Photo Viewer last year when I decided to upgrade my now-defunct HP laptop.
Tried the "new" viewer in Windows 10 and did not like it.

One of the first things I did after getting a new laptop was find that hack so I could use Windows Photo Viewer.

#5 Barnack

Barnack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:49 PM

The full answer in short if you don't want to read all is: 

can someone send a download of a copy of win7/8/8.1's sound recorder from an uploading site (if its legal)?

I think the image viewing application you are asking about is probably "Windows Photo Viewer" - it can be restored to Windows 10 & requires only a registry modification to achieve this. I found the registry mod on another forum & they have a small file that you can load that does the mod for you.. As it's another forum won't link to it here, but if you google "Windows 10 forum" and "Windows Photo Viewer Windows 10" I'm sure you will end up in the right place - I've done this on all my machines as Windows Photo Viewer suits me & the "Photos app" does not (particularly the mouse wheel zooming feature).

as i said i've solved it, even if with some (many) troubles. Now it's sound recorder's turn.

Difficult questions take longer to get replies - sorry for the wait.
I don't know if I can help - but as there's been no other replies, I'll give it a try.

Look in:  C:\Windows\system32\SoundRecorder.exe

Is the exe there?  Does it work?  If so, right click on it and select Sendto...Desktop (create shortcut)

It shouldn't be there on a clean install of W10 - but you never know.  Maybe another program embedded it in it's installer?

If not, I have no clue where it might have gone.  Things don't disappear randomly - so something had to make it go away, but I just don't know what that was.

I've already checked there and... nothing. I even tryed to take the old version from my windows xp sys32 folder and it doesn't want to work, not even with any of the availeable compatibility settings :\

I'd rather try out a copy of the executable from win7 or win8/8.1, but since i haven't theese systems i can't get one.

Why did Windows bring out apps?  Because the consumer demand is for apps, and Microsoft is a business - so they try to give the consumer what they want.

FYI - I hate apps and refuse to use them as much as is possible.

New apps? ok. New slow and less performant versions of already existing and perfectly working .exes? Not fine at all -.-

Fine, groove wants to be universal. Wtf couldn't they just keep using "microsoft style" and make an extended wmp for other devices? Did they really have to copy mac's apps layout? Damn there's a reason if i don't like mac -.-

Edited by Barnack, 17 May 2016 - 12:51 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users