Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 SSD won't boot..

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dmkc1207

dmkc1207

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:12 PM

Out of nowhere my Win 7 Ultimate x64 (120gb SSD) won't boot..I am able to boot to an MsDart/ERD Commander disk but it does not detect the OS...Using the File Explorer portion I can see all of my data is still intact, I can view the files & folders ..I did not get too risky with it, (I think), and though I've read conflicting reports of running chkdsk on SSD's, didn't figure I had much to lose so I did try /f  & /r but it did not solve the no boot issue..I am able to switch to the C: drive via a command prompt so I also tried bootrec /fixboot and received "Element not found" and bootrec /fixmbr which said the issue was fixed, but it still does not boot..I have to believe it's an MBR issue, but I don't like messing around in this area so looking for some guidance..Any help greatly appreciated...Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:14 PM

This tool my well help you resolve this issue.

http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/rebuild-mbr.htm

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:03 AM

If you have the installation disc for this version of Windows 7 you can access the System Recovery Options, Command  Prompt is one of these options.

1.  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2.  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, do so.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3.  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time and currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4.  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5.  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6.  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7.  Click on the Command Prompt link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and then paste bootrec /rebuildbcd in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

You will see the following.

Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

This may take a while, please do not stop the scan.

If this was successful you will receive the following message.

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dmkc1207

dmkc1207
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:44 PM

Arachi...I followed instructions up to step 6 above..my computer does NOT list an operating system as in the above example..I did follow to next step and open a command prompt which gets me to an x:\Sources prompt where I am able to enter the bootrec /rebuildbcd command which scans all disks for Windows installations and it returns this :

"Total identified Windows Installations: 1

[1] C:\Windows

Add installation to boot list? Yes (Y) /No (N) /All (A):"

regardless of which option I choose I get "Element not found" as a result...so it seems that it correctly identifies the Windows OS on the C: drive but does not allow me to accept any of the options I listed..I have not yet tried TsVk!'s suggestion to rebuild the MBR as I realize what a slippery slope this can be, though I feel at some point I will have no other option..Any thoughts?...thanks

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:21 AM

Go back to the Command Prompt and copy and paste /FixMbr, then press Enter.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 dmkc1207

dmkc1207
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:13 PM

Little confused Arach, been taking it slow and not trying anything extreme..yet...copy & paste /fixmbr from where (which drive) to where?

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:22 PM

dc3, would Startup Repair do the same thing?  I'm adding your info to my library, thanks.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:29 PM

Go back to the instructions I posted in post #3.  

When you get to the System Recovery Options select Command Prompt.

Then copy and paste /FixMbr in the command prompt and then press Enter.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:52 PM

dc3, would Startup Repair do the same thing?  I'm adding your info to my library, thanks.

No.

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:12 PM

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/startup-repair-faq#1TC=windows-7

Now I understand! SR is not bcd or MBR-fixing. See ya   :)

Edited by hamluis, 21 May 2016 - 04:55 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#11 dmkc1207

dmkc1207
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:05 PM

Arach, I tried following your instructions but for the life of me I could not figure how to copy and paste from the command prompt..could not right click or ctrl + c..I tried startup repair and it would run for 15 seconds and as if it successfully completed but would not make any difference..It seemed my main problems with all the commands (/fixmbr etc) were an "element not found" based so I did search using that parameter which lead me to here for those interested:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/7791044e-db7f-4144-a96c-945299811f58/bootmgr-not-found-bootrec-rebuildbcd-and-fixboot-give-element-not-found-error?forum=w7itproinstall

I read through and tried what I thought was relevant to me..I first booted to gparted and noticed that the partition was not flagged as "boot" so I set that flag..on reboot I was given "bootmgr not found" message..I then followed Arach instructions from post #3 above and this time it looked similar to his in that it now found the operating system..I went to "repair your computer" and it identified all my system restore points, I tried one but it said it failed..rebooted to Win 7 install disk again, repair and them followed this sequence from the coded site :

C:

CHKDSK /R

Please also run the following command:

Bcdboot C:\windows

NOTE: Replace C with the drive letter where the system is installed.

BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD

BOOTREC /SCANOS

I successfully booted back into Windows..only odd thing was my desktop showed that my system restore was successful though I was given the exact same opposite message within the repair environment...In any event, I am a happy camper..I'm pretty geeky but I DON'T like messing with MBR's and boot errors, past experience has taught me to be VERY careful so I was cautious and patient but it all turned well..I appreciate all the suggestions here, there's no place like Bleeping. It's a long-lasting community which is becoming rarer & rarer on the net, I have donated to the cause and it's always my first avenue for the toughest problems..thanks again

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:19 PM

You were suppose to copy and paste the command /FixMbr in the Command prompt.

#13 dmkc1207

dmkc1207
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:31 PM

Arach..I understand what you're saying but when you boot to a disk it puts you in a "x:sources/" environment where you can run all the commands..I opened the command but could not copy it...I'm thinking now I should have done a "help" or "list" to show all the commands instead?..again, copy and paste requires copying from somewhere to somewhere...should I have gone to file explorer and found it listed somewhere..if you paste the command INTO the command prompt, you have to copy it FROM somewhere...again, I am not a super-user in working from one environment to another....I'm sure I could have pulled it off with more detailed instructions but am glad I didn't have to reformat...I'm going to clone this disk and set aside as it's a tower that I use frequently..I do appreciate your efforts and suggestions, they certainly helped when I was able to flag the disk as a boot

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:02 PM

If you are referring to the System Recover Options, yes you can use Command Prompt.  After it opens copy and then paste the command /FixMbr in the Command Prompt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users