Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios options "F12 Boot menu" and "Del Setup" disappeared

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tacotardis42

Tacotardis42

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 05:37 PM

Hello! I have an interesting bug. It is not an issue per se, but it does worry me. My emachines computer (relevant system spec attached) has stopped displaying the usual "F12 boot menu" etc. along with the logo. Now when my computer boots up, it just displays the logo. It's not a problem since I can remember both of the options it gave me, but it is concerning nonetheless. Is this quirk or a symptom of something worse?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:06 PM

One should be able to enable these boot options from within BIOS. If I am not mistaken these options are not enabled by default on eMachines, ACER and many other branded PCs. Has the BIOS been reset to defaults (either by user or by system)?

Try to enter BIOS by striking the Tab or F2 key when booting and configure as you wish.

How old is this machine (I ask as if BIOS has not been reset by user; the CMOS battery may be dying or there may be an updated BIOS on manufacturer website).

Edited by bludgard, 15 May 2016 - 10:09 PM.

#3 Tacotardis42

Tacotardis42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:05 PM

I feel very, very stupid right now. I know the machine did indeed not show me the text even though I could access the menus. I have no idea what I did or what happened, but everything seems fine now. I just wish it would have fixed itself before I posted this :P Thank you for helping me anyway, it's much appreciated.

#4 Tacotardis42

Tacotardis42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:32 PM

And to be quite honest, I think there may be something wrong with the hardware. I'm not sure if I'm horribly unlucky or if somethings wrong but my operatings system bugs out weirdly every month at least, and my secondary Xubuntu OS unallocated it's own partition space twice. I don't think I have bad sectors (I've checked recently) or bad ram. Could these all be related to the bios fluke or just unrelated problems? EDIT: The text disappeared again. Is this one of the times where a BIOS update is justified?

Edited by Tacotardis42, 15 May 2016 - 11:38 PM.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:54 PM

Has the backup battery ever been replaced? Reverting to default settings can be a sign it's getting weak, as bludgard suggested. Updating the BIOS is only advised if there is an issue the update specifically addresses.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,852 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:20 PM

I haven't really seen too many calls on this but I do start my machine different than most.  I like to have the monitor on first, so I CAN see the BIOS screen.  Many have the system on a power strip or turn the monitor on separately and the display doesn't "boot" in time to display the BIOS.

#7 Tacotardis42

Tacotardis42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:28 PM

First, I do not think the battey has ever been replaced, and this is a decently old computer. And I always have my monitor on before I turn the computer on, so I see my manufacturer (in this case emachines) logo. The problem is that it should say "F12: Boot menu" and "Del: Setup" at the bottom left of the screen at startup, but recently ot stopped doing it every time. It seems to do it off and on now, which is worrying me.

#8 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:28 PM

That means there has been a change in the BIOS because that is what stores that info and draws it to the screen.  That it has changed without your assistance is ominous. 

Usually I would install the latest BIOS revision.

Model ET1831-01    
ECS     MCP73VT-PM   MB  
https://web.archive.org/web/20110303015757/http://www.e4allupgraders.info/dir1/motherboards/socket775/ecsMCP73VT-PM.shtml
Intel® Celeron® 420     1.6 GHz
nVidia GeForce 7100/610i chipset
AMI BIOS with 8Mb SPI ROM
• Supports Plug and Play , ACPI& DMI
• Supports STR(S3)& STD(S4)
MB.NAL07.005 MB.NAL07.003
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/EliteGroup%28ECS%29/mcp73vt-pm

God I love eMachines.  It has been so long since I have worked on one.  They used standard off the shelf components for most of their builds.  Unfortunately, I suspect this model was not one of them since ECS has no such board in their legacy support.

You can try a CMOS reset which will reset all BIOS settings to their defaults, but I would surprised if it worked if you weren't in there making changes accounting for the disappearance of the F12 menu.
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSwebsite/images/pin/cmos.jpg

http://www.emachines.com/ec/en/US/content/drivers.html
wow, those SOBs never posted a BIOS for your PC and that is what needs to be updated.  You could ask their TS (Gateway, Acer??) nicely if they will email you an up to date version and installation instructions.
The ET1810 used the same MB and a BIOS rev. is present (last ditch if eMachines' TS won't help:

BIOS eMachines BIOS R01.A3 1.6 MB 2009/09/28 Download

Edited by Fascist Nation, 16 May 2016 - 02:54 PM.

#9 Tacotardis42

Tacotardis42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 04:48 PM

Ok, I will try and update my bios, but one question: I can still access said menus, but the text indicating the buttons to press sometimes is not there. I just rebooted and it was there again, even though I could swear it wasn't sometimes. This is a very recent occurence. Since this would be my first bios update I just want to be sure if it might fix my problem (I know there is no guarentee whatsoever of course) and if there are any safety nets if something does go wrong. Also I'm a bit nervous about actually going in my pc (Which would be a first too). So do you think that this harmeless enough to go unfixed, or should I do the BIOS update just in case?

And the problem is not occuring right now which is good and frustrating at the same time. I honestly have the strangest problems with computers.

Edited by Tacotardis42, 16 May 2016 - 04:56 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:00 PM

I would not update the BIOS...I would simply replace the CMOS battery (available anywhere, less than $5) first and see if that cures any known issues.  The CMOS battery...when it is failing...may cause any number of unexpected, unusual problems and error messages, all dealing with the hardware configuration.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 May 2016 - 10:55 AM.

#11 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:43 PM

I've a similar eMachine but am running Windows 7 x64 with an AMD dual core (harvested from a Dell or HP along the line). Very stable and fast. Like it a lot and usually off-line. :)

Also put a PCIe video card of some sort, upgraded the PSU, RAM, added a couple HDDs, BlueRay and an SSD. When I replaced the battery: I tightened the bolts that anchor motherboard to case as they (loose connections) can cause issues or burn-out. A salvage machine that is control-center.

Would like to spend more time on it but it eats too much electricity and puts me in seclusion (office) which I don't care for. Have some decent laptops so can be closer to loved one and still be half-***** productive.

These machines are very simple and changing the battry will afford no obstacle (besides maybe disconnecting and reconnecting cables and/or ribbons) to reach the coin-size bugger.

Edited by bludgard, 16 May 2016 - 08:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users