Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Equivalent on 6-Core Mac Pro 2010

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rewbarb

Rewbarb

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 03:07 PM

Hello,

First post so be gentle ;)

I have been a mac user for 10 years and I am currently on the look out for a new machine/second hand. I currently use a mac pro 3.1 and I was looking at a 6-core 2010 Mac Pro 3.06Ghz with 32Gb RAM.

This is going to cost me at very best £650 but I not opposed to a PC alternative if it meant i could save £££. The main purpose the machine will be used for is motion graphics, so After Effects, Cinema 4D, Premier, Photoshop and Illustrator. I do occasionally game as well.

So my question what would be an equivalent machine. I am fairly knowlegable on graphics cards so I have an idea of what i want to aim for in that respect but past that, looking at PC's seems like a minefield. any help would be very much apretiated.

heres one I have found that I think may be up to the task, but tell me if im wrong -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4th-Generation-Intel-6-Core-i7-5820K-CPU-3-30-GHz-DESKTOP-PC-/401073234654?hash=item5d61d3e2de:g:cOwAAOSwzgRWxHHm

cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 IWant2Help

IWant2Help

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:55 PM

The graphics card in that thing is really weak so you are mostly paying for the CPU. The CPU itself is up for the workstation type tasks but its gonna crumble in graphically demanding games.

I don't know if any of those programs do GPU accelerated work but my recommendation is that you try to find a PC with at least a GTX 960 or R9 380 (The R9 380 doesnt support CUDA but performs better in games) in it for GPU.

See if you can find a place where you can select the parts and they'll build and ship it to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users