Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Load Windows 7 Prof on a Compaq laptop formerly running Vista

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 frank1492

frank1492

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 02:35 PM

My hard drive failed and I replaced it with a refurbished one. The CD-ROM drive had previously malfunctioned and I replaced it with a used one. I purchased Windows 7 Professional for Refurb PCs and have not been able to install it. The CD-ROM clicks a few times and tries to start up then stops. Sometimes a blinking cursor appears in the upper left screen for awhile but then changes to "Operating System not Found." I tried installation from an old Atapi external CD-ROM (formerly known to be OK) but that won't spin up either and the OSNF message appears. I have not messed with the boot order because I thought booting would be attempted from whatever device contained the Win 7 disc. Does anyone have any ideas as to whether the program disc, CD-ROM(s), replaced hard drive or something else is involved. I have about $80 invested here. Thanks for your ideas! Frank 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 02:59 PM

A number of things come to mind...

• Have you at least checked the BIOS to see if the optical drive is listed first in the boot order?
  • You can test the Windows 7 disc on another computer to see if it boots up.  That way, you'd know for sure whether the disc boots.
  • Are you certain the optical drive is working?  You might want to download something like Puppy Linux and burn a disc on a known good computer then test the optical drive with it.
  • Let's say you get the disc or optical drive to work, do you know whether your computer is capable of running Windows 7?  Did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor?

#3 frank1492

frank1492
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:58 PM

A number of things come to mind...

• Have you at least checked the BIOS to see if the optical drive is listed first in the boot order?
  • You can test the Windows 7 disc on another computer to see if it boots up.  That way, you'd know for sure whether the disc boots.
  • Are you certain the optical drive is working?  You might want to download something like Puppy Linux and burn a disc on a known good computer then test the optical drive with it.
  • Let's say you get the disc or optical drive to work, do you know whether your computer is capable of running Windows 7?  Did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor?

Sorry not to have gotten back sooner. I very much appreciate your help. I was already to implement your suggestions but thought I would try one more boot. Inexplicably the CD-ROM spun up and everything loaded fine. After I reloaded the graphics and touchpad drivers all was perfect. 

One question: Although the optical drive *was* listed first in the boot order, I didn't think it would make a difference. Doesn't the BIOS simply go through all possible sources for the OS program until it finds it? 

Thanks again!  Frank

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:03 AM

The Hard Drive is the Option to use as 1st Boot and prefered by most and Bios Default { Most }.

This way it boots straight up and doesnt require to search further.

Also having Cdrom as the first choice is ok as it will check anyway , but some people leave discs in the Cdrom and then cant figure out why it wont boot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users