Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

email migration

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 harpslinger321

harpslinger321

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 01:17 PM

Firstly, here's the specs on my computer:

Shuttle "Spacewalker" MB, circa 2000. Windows XP Pro, SP3. Pentium 4, 1.8 GHz, 2 Gigs SD RAM. MS Outlook Express 6 for an email client.

I've changed ISPs. I had Verizon, which just got bought by Frontier. They upped the prices, so I went with Time Warner Cable. The service technician installed the modem, set top box (for tv) and telephone equipment just this past Friday (2 days ago), and now I have a new email address, connected to the TWC account.

My son tells me that it's better to have web-based email addresses, so that in case the computer or the ISP fails, I don't lose my emails, and I can access my email from anywhere. So, I opened a couple of gmail accounts, and also have an older Yahoo account, in addition to the TWC account, which is accessible over the web as well. I haven't set up anything to work with MS Outlook Express 6 yet, except it seems I'm still getting mail delivered to that address. I'm assuming it's because Frontier hasn't realized the change yet, or perhaps because they haven't yet realized that I haven't paid them the monthly since they bought out Verizon at the beginning of April. I used this gap to save up enough to bail on them and switch over to TWC. Frontier is now sending me bills for 485 dollars, and it keeps going up. That's one bill I won't be paying anytime soon,,lol.

Anyway, I want to know how to move all my old emails over to a web based server, like gmail. Or, I'll just selectively decide which emails should go to my local machine (for speed, since the web based email clients are slower responding, due to the fact that they're accessed through a much larger network than my locally hosted mail. It takes my Yahoo mail a minute or more to fully load, compared to the mail hosted on my computer through MSOE6).

Other than this forum, I've also posted this query to computing.net, and plan on calling TWC tech support on the landline to see what they suggest, and perhaps they'll step me through the process, however that turns out.

But are there any knowledgeable people here that can help me choose a solution?

Edited by hamluis, 15 May 2016 - 02:07 PM.
Moved from XP to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:11 PM

Anyway, I want to know how to move all my old emails over to a web based server, like gmail. Or, I'll just selectively decide which emails should go to my local machine (for speed, since the web based email clients are slower responding, due to the fact that they're accessed through a much larger network than my locally hosted mail. It takes my Yahoo mail a minute or more to fully load, compared to the mail hosted on my computer through MSOE6).

Just because you are using an email client, such as MS Outlook Express, it doesn't mean you are running an email server or, as you put it, your "locally hosted mail."  The fact is, you are not hosting any email service.  The email account is actually a service provided to you by an email provider.  The email provider is the one who is hosting the email service on a server.  You, as a user, can access your email account either by using an email client or via your web browser.  Web mail simply mean accessing your email account from a browser, i.e. not having to use an email client.  For that matter, you can set up an email client with your email account but you can access that same account from a browser too.  I do that all the time.

Also, I may be wrong, but I don't think you can import old emails into from a different email provider, into Gmail.

Other than this forum, I've also posted this query to computing.net, and plan on calling TWC tech support on the landline to see what they suggest, and perhaps they'll step me through the process, however that turns out.

Since you posted elsewhere, I would appreciate it if you can continue with that support site.  Posting the same issue at multiple support sites can lead to confusion.

Edited by Agouti, 15 May 2016 - 06:12 PM.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:24 PM

Since you posted elsewhere, I would appreciate it if you can continue with that support site.  Posting the same issue at multiple support sites can lead to confusion.

The only time we discourage posting about the same issue at multiple support sites is when dealing with malware/infection issues.

#4 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:53 PM

Also, I may be wrong, but I don't think you can import old emails into from a different email provider, into Gmail.

This article, although I've never attempted to, explains how to get your OE Mail into Gmail. http://email.about.com/od/gmailtips/qt/Import_Your_Emails_from_Windows_Live_Mail_OE_in_Gmail.htm

Just Google 'transfer my outlook express to gmail' for more articles.

Time Warner might also still offer OE support. You'll need to check their support page or perhaps give them a call.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#5 harpslinger321

harpslinger321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:08 AM

Thank you all for the responses.

Agouti, I understand that my computer is not a "server". I never said that. I was using the word "hosted" loosely, not the stricter interpretation that you refer to, as a "host" computer is generally considered a "server" computer in common lingo. I was merely referring to the fact that my computer is "hosting" my downloaded email, rather than "hosting" it on a remote site, such as a web-based email such as gmail. If someone is your welcome guest, you are their host, by definition.

Queen Evie, thank you for coming gallantly to my defense. I am in your debt, for having saved me from the savage Agouti. I was taken aback at the severe tone of his message, and almost doubted that life indeed existed here. But thanks to your gallantry, I am again comforted and encouraged. I do indeed find the will to survive again, on these mean streets.

Saw 101, thank you for going to the trouble of finding those links, and giving me a heads-up. I will indeed be calling Time Warner tomorrow, as I have decided to, for the time being, simply add their email address to the one already being used by MSOE6. That way, I'll at least have more time to decide about the intended transfer of files. I have had people encouraging me to migrate to all web-based emails, and yet I also have read an article where someone is saying that if you have ANY important email, not to keep it on a web-based email, but to keep it on your home computer, where it's under your own control.

Hmm,,decisions, decisions,,

I think I've been confusing the ideal for the practical. I need to start with the immediately practical, and work towards an ideal of my own choosing. I think I must have Asberger's, I angst over these things so much. It's that cursed perfectionism.

thanks to all. we gather, to seek the light.

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:18 AM

Queen Evie, thank you for coming gallantly to my defense. I am in your debt, for having saved me from the savage Agouti. I was taken aback at the severe tone of his message, and almost doubted that life indeed existed here. But thanks to your gallantry, I am again comforted and encouraged. I do indeed find the will to survive again, on these mean streets.

Savage?  Severe tone?  I was only trying to explain the difference between using an email client and using web mail.  That's because I didn't get the impression you knew the difference.

Sorry if I offended you Sir.  Goodbye.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:22 AM

Whether to use web based mail or an email client such as Outlook Express, Outlook, Thunderbird, etc. is a personal choice.

Yes, if the computer fails or you have to reinstall the OS, you will lose the client and the mail that is in it.

IF the client is set as POP account, mail will be downloaded from the server and will not be retained on the server.

You can set the client to leave a copy of mail on the server. If you have to reinstall the client or install it on a new computer, you will be able to download mail that was previously on the client.

If the client account is set as IMAP, everything stays on the server and can be downloaded at any time if reinstalling/installing the client. IMAP will also download any folders you created in web mail.

Find out if Time Warner has IMAP settings to use.

#8 harpslinger321

harpslinger321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:08 PM

Queen-Evie,

Thanks for the detail. I am being helped with every post.

So, as I understand it, POP would be LESS "secure" in the sense that there are fewer copies of the emails than if you used IMAP, so it would be easier to "lose" everything without taking proper precautions with POP, whereas with IMAP, it is perhaps less "secure" in the sense that there are more copies of one's email "out there" to hack into, if that were the case.

I'll be calling Time Warner to see if they have IMAP settings. Thanks.

Technology sure has advanced since I last woke up, ten or fifteen years ago,,lol. Everything seems to have progressed in complexity, causing one, more and more, to have to rely on others for knowledge. And then you find that some treat knowledge differently than others. Some hoard it, and others have learned to share it.

Thank you for sharing.

#9 harpslinger321

harpslinger321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:11 PM

Hmm,,I wonder if Hillary had a POP account or an IMAP account. I would guess a POP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users