Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to open up and clean my notebook but.........

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:19 AM

......I am a relative novice/rookie pc user and have never attempted anything like this before.

I am also a little concerned about a comment made to me by a former friend (who I fell out with a a while back!) who is a computer engineer. He told me previously that my model of notebook, Samsung NP3530 EC, is notoriously difficult to dismantle.

I feel the need to clean the inners because I just blew gently into the vents and some dust blew out, although the fan is working ok still and I am not over-heating.

Is this a classic case of 'if it aint broke, don't try to fix it', or is this something I can pretty safely attempt myself? I haven't got the right screwdriver to remove the hard drive underneath, but will go and buy these before going ahead with my plan to clean...if I do! I have also found some YouTube tutorials I could refer to, but none that cover my exact make and model of device.

Can anyone offer me any sound advice on what I should do? It does seem the inners are contaminated with dust and I don't really want the expense of taking my pc to an engineer to clean. Besides, I love learning about these things myself! I have cleaned out and serviced 2-way radios and TV remotes successfully in the past, but not a computer.

Many thanks.

Edited by robby501, 15 May 2016 - 08:33 AM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:54 AM

If you have never disassembled a notebook before, I would advise against it, especially if it is a newer notebook that does not have any back panels to access things like the battery and hard drive. A lot of things can go bad, especially when disconnecting ribbon cables. 

I could not find any videos or manuals regarding dis-assembly on this model. That means you would basically going in blind on what to remove and disconnect.

#3 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:18 AM

If you have never disassembled a notebook before, I would advise against it, especially if it is a newer notebook that does not have any back panels to access things like the battery and hard drive. A lot of things can go bad, especially when disconnecting ribbon cables. 

I could not find any videos or manuals regarding dis-assembly on this model. That means you would basically going in blind on what to remove and disconnect.

Yes, I have to agree with you in that things do look like they could go wrong. A large 'L'shaped panel is removable with one screw underneath which says "ODD/HDD memory" on it. I'm tempted to go in there just to see if I can get access to some areas with a little brush and some compressed air. But after seeing some Youtube vids of strip-downs of other Samsung models, the whole process does look somewhat daunting.

My device is a little over 3 years old.

Thanks for your input.

Edited by robby501, 15 May 2016 - 10:20 AM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 01:45 PM

I agree with JohnC_21, especially with the ribbon connectors.  These are down right fragile.  If you break it you are usually looking at replacing the motherboard since these aren't sold separately.  I bought my wife a 8GB module for Christmas and had to take the notebook completely apart to install it.  The RAM was under the motherboard which meant taking all the screws out of the bottom, pulling the keyboard and bezel out, pulling the motherboard just to access the RAM.

Since this compyter isn't overheating I would suggest purchasing a canned Duster and blow out the notebook out through the vents.  Do this with the computer off.  I would also suggest doing this someplace where flying dust won't matter.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 02:07 PM

I agree with JohnC_21, especially with the ribbon connectors.  These are down right fragile.  If you break it you are usually looking at replacing the motherboard since these aren't sold separately.  I bought my wife a 8GB module for Christmas and had to take the notebook completely apart to install it.  The RAM was under the motherboard which meant taking all the screws out of the bottom, pulling the keyboard and bezel out, pulling the motherboard just to access the RAM.

Since this compyter isn't overheating I would suggest purchasing a canned Duster and blow out the notebook out through the vents.  Do this with the computer off.  I would also suggest doing this someplace where flying dust won't matter.

Much appreciate your comments. Common sense the order of the day! :graduate:

Edited by robby501, 15 May 2016 - 02:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users