Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ports blocked on Dlink DIR-850L Router and won't open

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sachb

sachb

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 02:03 AM

Hello forum members and experts, I've been trying to open block ports on my Dlink DIR-850L router but this router doesn't forward ports as expected. 

I need port forwarding for BITCOMET ,  bitcomet always shows Blocked and with the Yellow circle whenever i connect to the Dlink router.

I tried everything and even disabled all the firewall on the Dlink router but unfortunately nothing seems to make effect on this router.

1) UPNP Enabled , No Port Forwarding , No Virtual server
2) UPNP Disabled , Port Forwarding enabled, No virtual Server
3) UPNP Disabled , No Port forwarding , Virtual server Enabled.

On my asus router all the ports are open and even on my extender, but somehow i'm unable to configure this stubborn router which won't let me use Bitcomet properly and always shows Port Blocked (In yellow) only with this DLINK 850L router.

Here is the Diagrammatic setup :

tgnW182.png?1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:53 AM

Your doing double NAT. Check out this post on Portforward.com

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 12:26 PM

"On my asus router all the ports are open"

You can't have the same ports forwarded to a server in the asus lan AND expect them to be open on the Dlink lan.

You have to choose one or the other.

Why you may ask?

Port forwarding is specific to port and host ip address.  You can not forward the same port number to two different hosts ip addresses.

In your situation what you can do, with the associated risk, is put the entire asus lan in the DMZ then you can specifically forward ports in the Dlink to the dlink lan.

#4 sachb

sachb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 12:35 PM

"On my asus router all the ports are open"

You can't have the same ports forwarded to a server in the asus lan AND expect them to be open on the Dlink lan.

You have to choose one or the other.

Why you may ask?

Port forwarding is specific to port and host ip address.  You can not forward the same port number to two different hosts ip addresses.

In your situation what you can do, with the associated risk, is put the entire asus lan in the DMZ then you can specifically forward ports in the Dlink to the dlink lan.

Actually what i did was Added the 2nd router i.e my Dlink router in DMZ mode on the ASUS Router and my Netgear in Portforwarding mode. But anyways Netgear doesn't even require port forwarding. 

When i connect my Laptop to extender diectly i see the wan and green in bitcomet. Only issue is with the Dlink which is frustrating.

But im suprised as to why the DLINK's Upnp doen't get the port to turn in green.

I noticed one thing on Bitcomet : 

TCP (BLOCKED in Firewall/Router)

UDP (Opened in Firewall/Router)

So that means only TCP connections are getting rejected by the Dlink DIR-850L. Odd

Edited by sachb, 15 May 2016 - 12:37 PM.

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 01:48 PM

I don't think you understood what I told you.

In the asus router you did port forwarding for bitcomet right? You forwarded both tcp/udp for port 21656 to what ip address?

#6 sachb

sachb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 02:01 PM

I don't think you understood what I told you.

In the asus router you did port forwarding for bitcomet right? You forwarded both tcp/udp for port 21656 to what ip address?

Yes forwarded both Tcp and Udp for Bitcomet , on Netgear's IP address, since DLINK's IP ADDRESS is already set in DMZ on my Asus router. And not sure where u got 21656 from. Im using port 60000 for Bitcomet.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 02:26 PM

Yes forwarded both Tcp and Udp for Bitcomet , on Netgear's IP address

That means the ports are forwarded to the Netgear for Bitcomet (That's Why your laptop works when connecting to the Netgear extender).  If your DLINK is in a DMZ zone on the Asus you don't need to forward any ports on the Asus (They will be open in the Asus firewall for the DMZ). Forward the ports in the Dlink ONLY and you should be ok. 

Edited by Sneakycyber, 15 May 2016 - 02:26 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#8 sachb

sachb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 02:52 PM

Yes forwarded both Tcp and Udp for Bitcomet , on Netgear's IP address

That means the ports are forwarded to the Netgear for Bitcomet (That's Why your laptop works when connecting to the Netgear extender).  If your DLINK is in a DMZ zone on the Asus you don't need to forward any ports on the Asus (They will be open in the Asus firewall for the DMZ). Forward the ports in the Dlink ONLY and you should be ok. 

Oh that means i can choose either DLINK or NETGEAR , portforwarding can be done in one and not Both. I got , i tried Portforwarding and i saw WAN Green on my DLINK finally but then Netgear became Yellow. LOL

Anyways thanx for your help. It worked finally.

#9 sachb

sachb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 03:31 PM

I thought port forwarding works in a way in which the 1st router's port is open , 2nd router's port should be open too, but it seems its not the case here. 3 devices. So 1 device doesn not pass on the ports to the next device which is connected to its LAN port.

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 03:55 PM

An Open port and a forwarded port are two different things. An open port allows traffic to pass through the Firewall/Router to any device IE: Port 80 for HTTP. A forwarded port directs ALL traffic on that port to one specific IP address. 

Edited by Sneakycyber, 15 May 2016 - 03:56 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#11 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 04:15 PM

From portforward.com screen shot #4

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Asus/RT-AC68U/BitComet.htm

Only a few ports are "open" by default.  Most of the known and all of those above 1024 are closed by default.

Otherwise everyone would be easily hacked.

Glad to see you at least got the dlink working for forwarding.

Here is a trick: change the listening port of bitcomet

So on the netgear have two entries.  One goes to the host ip on the asus lan say 60000 and the host ip on that lan for bitcomet, second entry called dlink goes to 60001 and points to the dlink wan ip.  In the dlink set forwarding for bitcomet to 60001 and point to the host ip address on that lan.  Then in the bitcomet console on this dlink lan host change the listening port to 60001.

results are both hosts on each lan can use bitcomet since each is listening on a different port number that you have forwarded to them

#12 sachb

sachb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:33 AM

From portforward.com screen shot #4

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Asus/RT-AC68U/BitComet.htm

Only a few ports are "open" by default.  Most of the known and all of those above 1024 are closed by default.

Otherwise everyone would be easily hacked.

Glad to see you at least got the dlink working for forwarding.

So on the netgear have two entries.  One goes to the host ip on the asus lan say 60000 and the host ip on that lan for bitcomet, second entry called dlink goes to 60001 and points to the dlink wan ip.  In the dlink set forwarding for bitcomet to 60001 and point to the host ip address on that lan.  Then in the bitcomet console on this dlink lan host change the listening port to 60001.

results are both hosts on each lan can use bitcomet since each is listening on a different port number that you have forwarded to them

"So on the netgear have two entries." U want me to add entries in Netgear. Bro Netgear is my extender and there isn't any Routing capability. There is n't any Port forwarding Tab or anything. If u meant something else please clarify it.

#13 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:53 AM

Where you read "netgear" see "asus router"

So on the asus router have two entries.  One goes to the host ip on the asus lan say 60000 and the host ip on that lan for bitcomet, second entry called dlink goes to 60001 and points to the dlink wan ip.  In the dlink set forwarding for bitcomet to 60001 and point to the host ip address on that lan.  Then in the bitcomet console on this dlink lan host change the listening port to 60001.

#14 sachb

sachb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2016 - 12:51 PM

Where you read "netgear" see "asus router"

So on the asus router have two entries.  One goes to the host ip on the asus lan say 60000 and the host ip on that lan for bitcomet, second entry called dlink goes to 60001 and points to the dlink wan ip.  In the dlink set forwarding for bitcomet to 60001 and point to the host ip address on that lan.  Then in the bitcomet console on this dlink lan host change the listening port to 60001.

It didn't work actually. 

What actually worked for me was to tick the box in Bitcomet "Remove Port on NAT/FIREWALL while exiting" and only adding the DLINK to the DMZ. Thats it, no complications. Works now. Provided i exit the bitcomet and then switch between them. (WIFI networks).

Now all the three routers show green which is quite astounding.

So Asus registers the active ports and keeps it on, if a client is using the same port on another ip address it blocks the port. Now i got it. 

It keeps it active until the Program say Bitcomet decides to close it. 

#15 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:19 AM

It should be....

Internet------Router1(dhcp enabled) ----extender-----router2 (dhcp off).

The ethernet cable needs to be plug into ethernet port of router 2 not the WAN port.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users