Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome using far too much bandwidth

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Toasterbaked

Toasterbaked

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 12:12 AM

I've noticed that I've been using a lot of data (the family modem has a limit of 300gb/month and I've used over half of it in less than half of a month) so I installed Netbalancer to figure out who the culprit behind this. It turns out that chrome has been using almost 4-5gb every day. I'm a pretty heavy user of youtube so that might be a part of the usage, but I feel that this is still too excessive. Why is this happening and what can I do about it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 05:31 AM

Chrome will use a lot data, particularly if it's loaded up with a lot of add-ons and plug-ins.  Check those out and disable the ones that really aren't necessary.  Open the Task Manager and see how many instances of Chrome are shown in the Processes column.  Also look in the Processes column for any other process that may be using questionable amounts of data. 

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:07 AM

300gb/month is a clue so I am asking is your internet provider Comcast?

They do give you three monthly courtesy overages if you go over. What that means is if you have never gone over or had one or two months of overages you will not be charged for going over 300gb for May.

Muddle through for the remainder of May if you have no luck resolving your issue and hope you do not go over if you have no courtesy overages.

After the end of May you won't have to worry about going over.

Just in case you have not heard this, announced on April 27, 2016 (if you are a Comcast customer. If not, then other Comcast customers who see this post and don't know about it will after they read it)

A Terabyte Internet Experience (click the link to read all of it)

As the world changes and the Internet evolves, so do we. That’s why we are making a major change to our Internet data trials and moving to a terabyte data plan in all of our trial markets.  

What can you do with a terabyte?  A whole lot.  You can stream about 700 hours of HD video, play 12,000 hours of online games, and download 60,000 high-res photos in a month.  

We know that data plans can be confusing, and we want to keep this simple. So here’s what’s happening:

•All of the data plans in our trial markets will move from a 300 gigabyte data plan to a terabyte by June 1st, regardless of the speed.

•For the very tiny portion of our customer super users (less than 1 percent of our customer base) who want more than a terabyte, they can sign up for an unlimited plan for an additional $50 a month, or they have the option to purchase additional buckets of 50 gigabytes of data for $10 each.

It does say "by June 1st" which means it is possible that it will change over during May. However, my opinion is that it will not take affect until June 1st since the usage runs from the first day of the month until the last day of the month.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 May 2016 - 09:10 AM.

#4 Toasterbaked

Toasterbaked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:40 PM

I disabled the majority of my add-ons, so I'll see what happens in the next few days. Thank you for the help!

#5 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:08 AM

Let us know if you see an improvement. :thumbup2:

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#6 Toasterbaked

Toasterbaked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:58 PM

So far, I'm seeing Chrome's bandwidth usage dropping to about half of what it was before. It's still a lot, but it's acceptable. Thank you!  :bananas:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users