Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Stops Responding Shortly After Startup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 outtheairlock

outtheairlock

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:12 PM

My laptop has been struggling (for some time really) - quickly after it starts up, regardless of what I'm using it for, it stops responding. I can usually still move my mouse, but if I try to open any programs, or complete any actions in something I'm already using, nothing happens. There's typically very little warning before it stops responding - I'm using it normally, then all of a sudden can't do anything. It's at the point that in order to accomplish anything, I must hold the power button to turn off the computer and restart, which only gets me a few minutes of usable time.

It had previously gotten to the point where I tried a couple system restores, which failed (regardless of the restore point I would always get a failed message). I then performed a factory restore, which seemed to help, but it only managed to work for a couple days before the issue started up again.

I'm not sure what info is needed to help solve the issue, but as a baseline:

- Originally ran Windows 8, upgraded to Windows 10 Home

- Intel i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40 GHz

- 64 bit

(As a side note, this seems to happen eventually with every computer I own...not sure if I'm doing something here.)

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:00 AM

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I was away for the weekend and internet availability was spotty - so I got a bit behind in my replies.

Wait until the system stops responding, then recover from it and generate these 2 sets of reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 outtheairlock

outtheairlock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 04:01 PM

Sorry for the delay on my end! Attached are the two requested files.

I'm not sure what I should be looking for on the temperatures (what's in the normal range vs what isn't).

Attached Files

Edited by outtheairlock, 28 May 2016 - 04:06 PM.

#4 outtheairlock

outtheairlock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 05:28 PM

Sorry for the double post - just in case, wanted to include these reports from directly after restarting after the computer stopped responding. The first set I posted are technically also from that scenario, but I hadn't turned on the computer at all in a couple weeks so thought the set from the fresh failure might be better.

Attached File  Admin.zip   41.85KB   1 downloads

Attached File  LENOVO_PC_5_28_2016_6_21_33_PM.zip   360.17KB   1 downloads

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:12 PM

Not a problem with the delay - I get an email when you respond.

Temps are usually:

Normally desktop temps shouldn't exceed (these are maximum temps when the system is under stress):
CPU - 60ºC
GPU - 80ºC
HDD and other components - 40ºC

Laptops can run a bit higher (these are just estimates).

The Admin logfile has suggestions of a hardware problem."
Please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 74CN44WW(V3.05)) dates from 2013.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

Only 6 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

Beyond this I have these 4 suggestions:
1.  Get ALL available Windows Updates.  It may take several trips to get them all
2.  Get ALL available, compatible updates for your OS from the manufacturer's website (to include BIOS/UEFI).

3.  Get ALL available, compatible updates for the programs and any additional hardware installed on your computer from the developer's website
4.  Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html
5.  If all of the hardware tests pass, then run Driver Verifier according to these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

Edited by usasma, 29 May 2016 - 05:14 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 outtheairlock

outtheairlock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:00 PM

I'm currently looking at the UEFI/BIOS updates (see here), and there is one, but it's listed for Windows 7/8/8.1, and I'm currently running 10. I'm thinking that trying to install it would likely not go well?

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:12 PM

I'd go ahead and install it.  Just right click on it (once downloaded) and select "Run as administrator"

The BIOS functions outside of Windows - so it's just the installer that's designed for W7/8 - and W10 can cope with those installers in most cases.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users