Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove a thumb drive

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 07:28 PM

I am just checking.....

When I remove a thumb drive in any windows, after following the accepted procedure, there is never any "noise" as the drive is actually removed.

Fast forward to removing a thumb drive in Linux (mint 17.3, cinnamon).....right click on the drive and select "eject" .....there is a very noticeable "noise" as the drive is actually removed.....

Am i not doing something here....doing something incorrectly......holding my mouth in the incorrect position...........??

I also note that is the option to "safely remove drive" is present....the "noise" is made as I click safely remove drive......no noise as I actually remove the drive

If the drive has been 'unmounted", and I simply pull the drive out....there is "noise"

After a bit more tomfooling around I discover that the results are actually consistent.......If "safely remove drive" is chosen....in All cases there is no "noise".......whereas if "Eject" is chosen there IS noise.....

Therefore....what is the object of the Eject choice...?

(I am assuming in all of this that the "noise" represents some sort of less than satisfactory withdrawal of the usb thumb drive)

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:14 PM

Hi Brian

I can answer part of your questions today our time, and some more tomorrow, although others may chime in in the meantime.

While I prepare my next post, you might want to check and see if the below settings match yours. These are mine from Rosa Cinnamon

bQLfQnf.png

You get there from Menu, choose the cog near top left for System Settings, scroll down and choose Sound, then the Sound Effects Tab.

Are yours the same?

:wizardball: Wiz

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:25 PM

Yes !...precisely the same.

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:30 PM

My environment as depicted above has not been altered since I installed Rosa Cinnamon.

Where the option named "Removing a device:" is concerned, you have learned that in modern Mint Cinnamon, at least, that option refers to the ejecting choice, rather than "safely removing". Also you can see that "safely removing" is not a choice listed. This may vary from distro to distro - although I typically run 16 to 20 of them, I have not investigated (yet, lol).

With Ubuntu Unity, for example you get a lot of jungle drums going off, assigned to certain events.

You are likely aware that Windows has the option of assigning sound effects to certain events, and it used to be the case that they were related to small .wav files - you could have Beethoven's 5th play for something, or even import your own sound effects and add them to the directory holding the .wav files.

I'll break again whilst you are here, and be back in 3 - 5. Bit like a chat room, isn't it, lol?

:wizardball:

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:35 PM

I was going to assign neil diamonds..."I've been this way before"....but thought better of it.....

I'll be here....doing some cooking today.......yes !..it is rather like a chat room now you come to mention it.................oh..G'day Nick !

#6 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:55 PM

If you want to try an experiment, open your File Manager, choose File System from the left, double click media and likewise for your next level, likely user name.

Mine looks like this.

PEHIqI5.png

Mine is populated with the partitions currently on my external powered USB storage drive (also bootable). Yours will differ, but if I am not mistaken you were adding an ssd, so there might be a couple of icons.

Then take the usb stick that offered you options, insert it, wait until it "settles", and then follow the options of ejecting it, and then repeat and safely remove it.

Note for yourself (or report) any differences with the right-hand pane with icons appearing and disappearing, and also with the left-hand pane under Devices, where the USB stick will likely be reflected at the bottom of the list.

BTW - for users/Members wishing to get rid of a sound effect that might be an annoyance, simply revisit #2 above, with System Settings - Sound - Sound Effects; and uncheck the event you no longer wish to hear being executed.

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 12:15 AM

A word on safety before I depart for now.

If the option to safely remove drive is available, always take it, or at least take it if data has been transferred between stick and computer. This allows the USB stick to "spin down" and allows maintenance of integrity of the data transferred, as well as less wear and tear on the drive.

For sticks that have an LED that flickers, I always wait until that stops before removing the drive. This is not always apparent if the stick is "upside down" in a laptop, and more easily detected on a tower case.

Later

:wizardball: Wizard

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 12:17 AM

On using the eject function....the linux usb disappears(it has linux mint on it)with no sound......when I physically remove the usb it makes it usual 'noise'

On using the safely remove function....the linux usb disappears accompanied by a 'noise', when I physically remove it it makes no sound at all

SO....the fact that the usb disappears from the user levels right hand pane, obviously means that the chances of any 'dramas' in terms of not removed properly therefore chance of file damage etc etc.....is Nil.

Edit:....just spotted your post re safety....noted and understood.

Edited by Condobloke, 15 May 2016 - 12:19 AM.

#9 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 803 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 12:56 AM

Personally I disable all sound effects in both Windows and Linux, because they just get on my wick. :wink: :whistle: 

#10 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 02:21 AM

USB Thumb drives:  at their core they are flash based technology.  Flash has definite write and erase times;  these are important because physically yanking a drive out can leave the filesystem in an inconsistent/corrupted state.

Most Linux desktop environments run the automounter, so when you put the thumb drive in, it automagically shows up for you.  That's the "mount" command (man mount).  The "Safely remove..." is doing the command umount (yes there's no "n" there, man umount) to unmount the drive. The act of unmounting a drive forces all the system buffers associated with it (buffer cache, filesystem buffers) to get flushed to the physical device.  This is where the read/write times come into play:  a flash block must be erased before you can write to it, so the device may need a bunch of erase/write commands before the data is on the device.

Have you ever taken a 8GB thumb drive that has 6GB of space, copied 5.99GB of data to it and wondered why it takes so long to "Safely remove it"?  Flushing buffers, erase, write, that's why.

The default options for most distributions prefer system buffers over the physical device, so you copied file exists mostly in RAM until you go an unmount it.

I know, it's a lot of words that basically give you the reason "why" the advice in #7 good.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 02:40 AM

Thank you @wizardfromoz, gary r and mremski.....i am definitely learning as I go.

My main purpose in opening this topic was to avoid any of the pitfalls suggested in posts 7 & 10

Having said that....and especially after reading mremski's post...Most Linux desktop environments run the automounter, so when you put the thumb drive in, it automagically shows up for you ......I plugged in a buffalo 1TB external hdd...was met with the usual beep (eventually...took a while....maybe 10 seconds).....went to 'computer' and double clicked on the buffalo....and was met with "unable to mount location" & 'cant mount file'..

Right clicking on the drive and selecting 'mount' brings the same result.      Right clicking and selecting properties>>> permissions..."the permissions of buffalo hd-pcfu3 could not be determined"

Basic properties gives no info apart from the name of the hd

I wonder if the owner (not me) has "yanked" the connecting cable without following the usual safety precautions as outlined in posts 7 and 10....................??

#12 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 02:55 AM

@Gary R - for the most part I am inclined to agree ... although I do like the little "pring" Rosa Cinnamon makes when it starts - sounds fresh ie "voila"

@mremski - Giggle - I found "umount" disconcerting when I first came upon it, thought someone had misspelled it, lol.

@TheOP: -

I wonder if the owner (not me) has "yanked" the connecting cable without following the usual safety precautions as outlined in posts 7 and 10....................??

could be ... but may be more reasons as well.

If you watch the TV shows and the movies where the good guy/fugitive is downloading data while the Baddies are closing in, and they finally get to the end of the download/upload and pop the stick or end the process - they are more likely to end up with a brick of a stick, or incomplete data transfer.

Haste makes waste rules.

Enjoy Linux - I do. Nite all

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 04:46 AM

Flash has definite write and erase times;  these are important because physically yanking a drive out can leave the filesystem in an inconsistent/corrupted state.

Sure does & surely will damage any files on the USB stick (or backup drive) to pull the USB stick out or power down (backup drives with on/off switch), w/out getting approval of the OS. The 'eject' choice isn't always the proper one. 

This is a sure recipe for filesystem damage to the attached USB device, be it a USB stick, SD/SDHC/SDXC card, or other external drive. As far as I can recall, Safely Remove Drive has been a choice, and even running Windows, at times, doesn't want to let go (will reject removal request). All for the reasons that mremski & other members has provided above. 

And another reason why we should have all of the contents on USB sticks in a second area, preferably off of the computer & onto an external. These are also drives that requires backups, regardless of OS. While many USB sticks are more reliable than some of today's shoddy HDD's, the TBW is far less than SSD's & the Flash cells will eventually become read-only. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:14 AM

I plugged in a buffalo 1TB external hdd...was met with the usual beep (eventually...took a while....maybe 10 seconds).....went to 'computer' and double clicked on the buffalo....and was met with "unable to mount location" & 'cant mount file'..

First thing to try is mounting the file system by using the mount command in the terminal in verbose mode.

You will need to know the name of the file system (USB device), which you can find using fdisk.

It's also useful, although not strictly necessary, to know the type of file system (e.g. fat, NTFS, ext4, etc) on the device, although most USB drives will be formatted with fat32, so for the purpose of this post I'll assume that yours is too. If by any chance you have formatted the drive with a different file system, for example ext4, then replace vfat with ext4 or whatever the file system is that your USB is using, in the command in Step 3 below..

So:

• Run this command with the USB plugged in:
    sudo fdisk -l
    ...and note the name of the filesystem you want to mount. If your computer only has one HDD/SSD, and there is only one USB plugged in, the file system you want to mount will probably be called /dev/sdb1

• Before mounting a file system, you have to create a mount point. A mount point is s directory to which you will mount the file system. To create a mount point called mountpoint in /mnt, run this command:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/mountpoint

• Now to mount the file system using verbose mode in the terminal, to the mount point you have created, run this command
    sudo mount -t vfat -v /dev/sdb1 /mnt/mountpoint
    (swap vfat for the file system type on the USB if it is not fat, and swap dev/sdb1 with the name of the file system if it is not /dev/sdb1)
The file system (USB) should now be mounted, and if not, the terminal will hopefully tell you what went wrong.

Please post any messages from the terminal here.

(To use the terminal to unmount a device so that it can be unplugged, use the umount command, eg:
sudo umount /dev/sdb1

Edited by Al1000, 15 May 2016 - 06:21 AM.

#15 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:39 AM

Al1000....thanks for your reply.

In a terminal I entered....sudo fdisk -l.......hit enter, password....and it listed my 3 discs.....ssd + 300gb data disc and 250gb backup disc.....and thats it......the 1Tb movies disc (not mine) is not showing at all.

If i fire up gparted...it shows an error....LibParted bug found ! ...... error opening /dev/sdd: no such device or address

And again the three drives of mine are shown......but not the 1tb drive

Methinks the drive is....pooped...

Edited by Condobloke, 15 May 2016 - 06:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users