Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sharing Files with Windows via my USB

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 04:53 PM

When I put my USB into my Windows 7 machine it protests and want's to "Scan" the USB for files it don't like for lack of better description.  Sorry, thought I had the screen pic of that warning on my USB but on Linux right now.  I'm guessing that some of you know exactly what I'm talking about, what do you do about this, and what kind of files are causing this?  I'm thinking it is linux stuff therefore posted it here.

Could it be .deb files that I have on USB?  If needed I will scan the USB again, but it takes a very long time.  I did it once a long time ago and it took forever.  Then did not get the warning for a while but now getting it again.  I usually just click on "Skip" the Scan of USB and move on from windows nagging me.  I should have saved the Quarantined files but only have time for so many W7 headaches, and they did not look familiar to me, probably pieces of files/Folders.

pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 05:37 PM

Read this... http://www.howtogeek.com/184640/ask-htg-windows-always-wants-to-scan-and-fix-my-usb-drive-should-i-let-it.

I have a bootable flash drive that I made with YUMI.  I have stuff like UBCD, Clonezilla, etc on it.  Whenever I boot into Windows with that flash drive attached, Windows always pops up the message to scan the drive.  When I allow the scan, nothing is ever found.  Stupid Windows.  It's very annoying.  If you are absolutely certain that nothing is wrong with your drive, just ignore the message.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 05:42 PM

"Scan" the USB for files it don't like for lack of better description.

Ignore it, There should be a box that says do this in the future click it and you wont see it again,

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,743 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 05:45 PM

Stupid Windows.  It's very annoying.  

LOL, that's funny Agouti, I will read the link.  When I scanned it there was a file created called "run" when I opened it there was nothing that I recognized.  I'm pretty careful not to just save anything to it and then go to windows with it and get infected.  Most are documents and some .deb files from official sources, along with some windows stuff also.

Ignore it, There should be a box that says do this in the future click it and you wont see it again,

Thanks for the additional confirmation Nick!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 05:55 PM

Almost all 3rd party viri/malware engines can be "told" to not scan removable media; which may not be the best security choice, but it sure is a keep-the-sanity choice if one is inserting known-good usb stick after usb stick...

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,743 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 06:01 PM

I won't scan it again, but am very curious as to what it quarantined, hope it didn't muck up any of my important files.  I am very careful to Safety Eject, after pulling out a drive a while back with some negative affects.  I will continue to ignore it.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 06:33 PM

I had this problem. its mainly caused if the disk was formatted by linux and not windows buit it also may be caused by files with certain things windows doesnt like due ti its NTFS/FAT limitations

Edited by MadmanRB, 14 May 2016 - 06:33 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 06:37 PM

Often, check the various quarantine pots on your hard-drive; you might be surprised as to what are serving life sentences and what are waiting on death row in those places.

Edited by RolandJS, 14 May 2016 - 10:11 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#9 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 07:02 PM

There should be a box that says do this in the future click it and you wont see it again,

Really?  I never saw that option.  This is what the message looks like...

ximg_5321ddc4b9a3c.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+j

Almost all 3rd party viri/malware engines can be "told" to not scan removable media; which may not be the best security choice, but it sure is a keep-the-sanity choice if one is inserting known-good usb stick after usb stick...

This isn't about viruses or malware, it's about Windows detecting something is wrong with the drive.  The OP probably used the drive in Linux and ejected it, then used the drive in Windows.  Windows doesn't like you to use Linux, so it complains.  BTW, I believe "viruses" is the proper term.  See https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/viri

This plural is non-standard, but is used jocularly or erroneously, especially in the computing sense. The standard plural is viruses.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 08:13 PM

I stand corrected, Its been a long time since I used 7

This is on 10

screenshot-%284%29.png

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:15 PM

Agouti, correct!  I should have indicated thread starter's Windows - Linux clash, which scanners sometimes flag as PUP, virus, malware, whatever.  I still think disabling "scan external media" is a good solution when over and over using known-good usb sticks and cd-dvd media.

Edited by RolandJS, 14 May 2016 - 10:15 PM.

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 03:32 AM

+1! :thumbup2:

That's what I always do, it'll happen sometimes when connecting from one Windows computer to another also. Especially if it's been reformatted to another standard (most are FAT32 default). Some of mine are formatted to NTFS, to handle larger than 4GiB files. 

Auto 'repairing' of the drive by the scan may cause harm to any files on it, so it's best to ignore these messages. If the USB drive were no good, then it wouldn't auto open anyway. I'm always downloading files seen while on Linux Mint to use on Windows computers, why I also run ESET NOD32 4 for Linux, to scan for infections, and have never had issues with the USB stick. 

My luck with these must be better than many reports, in the last 10+ years, have had only one USB stick go half bad, and it still reads & writes, although slowly, a no-name 16GiB brand purchased in 2009-10 on eBay, back when it was something to have a 16GiB USB stick. Have never had one to totally fail, though have had some that didn't meet the advertised speed specs & have a wide variety of brands, and have a Team brand 32GiB stick that doesn't show when plugged into some USB 3.0 ports, though it's USB 3.0 rated, works fine as USB 2.0. Crucial USB sticks are actually rebranded Lexar, and was surprised at the low spec performance of the USB 2.0 8GiB stick I purchased for $2.14 shipped (promo for Crucial customers around the holidays last year). Before I formatted it the first time with the HP Formatting tool when nearly empty & new for an emergency BIOS install (almost lost my HP dc5800 by reverting to an older version), showed as a Lexar when inserting into a Windows install. The BIOS update to the proper version was a tricky deal with the USB stick, yet worked. 

That's why I didn't purchase the Lexar twin pack of 32GiB USB 3.0 drives a couple of months back at Costco for $19.99, because of the low transfer rates of the USB 2.0 model. I have plenty anyway (two unopened for a long time, some are SDHC cards that I use with a USB card reader & these acts just as a USB stick, one 2GiB one is a dedicated Linux install SDHC card. Have a couple in my possession that's been unopened for many months, getting close to a year, one a 32GiB Samsung Pro SDHC card boasting read speeds of 90MB/sec & writes of 80MB/sec. Another is a Silicon Image brand that was on promo for $10, not as fast as the Samsung, yet still well reviewed. Many were used for smartphone extra storage cards. For that purpose, I'd go with Samsung Pro or Sandisk Extreme only. 

Have seen a few reporting failures of numerous USB sticks, if on a single computer, I'd be concerned more about the computer than the USB sticks. One would have to be having an internal computer issue for multiple USB sticks of different brands to be toast after a couple of weeks to a couple of months, and I know one of these has used the same Sony notebook for years, so must be the computer killing half a dozen USB sticks. Maybe an electrical issue with the MB, or the USB inputs aren't lined properly, allowing a portion of the outer input contact area of the sticks to touch something these aren't supposed to, causing a short. USB stick OEM's doesn't cover this type of damage. 

So it's perfectly fine to share the same USB sticks with Linux & Windows, just skip any checking. :)

Most are backed by a 5 year to Lifetime warranty these days, and some OEM's doesn't want the old one back, just provide proof of purchase & get a new or open box of the same or better specs in 2-4 weeks. If has to be sent in, will be longer, like 4-6 weeks. If they can determine obvious abuse (such as sent in fully formatted to ext4 with a Linux install), which is plain dumb to send in such a manner, any warranty claim may be rejected, or they'll send a one time replacement with a DOA or 30 day warranty only. Can't say I can blame them, one ought to know better, to format the drive with the Windows or Linux formatting tool. Better yet, using the HP formatting tool that's a free download, which will sanitize the stick/SDHC card. 

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/6582-hp-usb-disk-storage-format-tool.html

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:05 AM

"...Auto 'repairing' of the drive by the scan may cause harm to any files on it, so it's best to ignore these messages..."  Cat1092

Ahhh, you've brought up to light a problem: auto-repairing!  If any external media auto-scan is also set to auto-repair, then any message will be too late.  If auto-repair is not set, if scans are set to report only -- ignore the messages [asking end-user what to do].  I'm going to make sure my Avira AV has no auto-repair set!  Thanks for the reminder, Cat1092!   :)

Edited by RolandJS, 15 May 2016 - 08:06 AM.

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,743 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:52 AM

cat1092 quote: 

"USB 2.0. Crucial USB sticks are actually rebranded Lexar"  

Actually re-branded as Lexar by Micron right?

So it's perfectly fine to share the same USB sticks with Linux & Windows, just skip any checking. 

This is good to know!  If I damaged any files, it's not a big loss, it's just that if they are Printer .deb files or other functional files that will be bad.

Edited by pcpunk, 15 May 2016 - 11:54 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:57 AM

cat1092 quote: 

"USB 2.0. Crucial USB sticks are actually rebranded Lexar"  

Actually re-branded as Lexar by Micron right?

So it's perfectly fine to share the same USB sticks with Linux & Windows, just skip any checking. 

This is good to know!  If I damaged any files, it's not a big loss, it's just that if they are Printer .deb files or other functional files that will be bad.

pcpunk, maybe so, I figured Lexar (a popular name in the industry) to be it's own brand & quality wise as the Crucial name stamped on the one I received, wasn't thinking about which NAND chips used for assembly. Then that narrows most brands down to a few select NAND chipsets (OEM RAM brands), and marketed depending on quality of chip as another brand, of which some will be entirely debranded. Some are no-name, just 'USB Drive' out of the package (regardless of OS & what may be on the package, if any). On that front, then Lexar failed to impress me when given the opportunity, have a 4GiB no-name that were $3 for $10 in a small fishbowl, like candy is in a store, picked up at Office Depot that reads & writes faster. Had I realized back then (in 2010) that I'd be using it near daily 6 years later on both Linux & Windows, would had purchased three rather than one to get the deal, though wasn't what I went in there for, rather a Logitech keyboard on promo. That 'no-name' yellow USB stick that was once covered with dark spots in a unique pattern is still the fastest of all of my USB 2.0 sticks that's 8GiB or less. 

No wonder why Costco was nearly giving these away (pack of two 32GiB USB 3.0) for $19.99 to it's members, 50% off, the month prior, these were $29.99. Newegg has similar promos of the same sized USB sticks ($10-15 each), and performs as such. Glad that I walked by both times. :P

Windows only picks up & displays what's read from the NAND chips, the only brand stamped on the USB stick is Crucial (though should had read reported Micron). Solves two questions with only one Topic. :)

On the other hand, Linux will report some brands, though not others. It's great with showing Kingston USB sticks as it's proper brand & sometimes model (DataTraveler). 

At any rate, unless I have reason to feel these something wrong with the USB stick (to include USB external drives), will close the message, many times that will be displayed and Autoplay of the drive shows a couple of seconds later. I believe this to be a Windows fault, and not of Linux. Otherwise, the Linux install would be asking the same. Though will scan any USB sticks with a AV/AM app once weekly, of if used less, depending on how often files are changed. It is normal for many AV software choices to include an autoscan prompt of USB drives, for the user's protection, some will allow one to skip this, others won't. When on Windows it won't safely eject after a small file is written to (or deleted), and it's light is steadily blinking, chances are a scan is taking place in the background. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 17 May 2016 - 03:12 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users