Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 stuck at keyboard selection screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 boomdig

boomdig

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:57 PM

I don't know if this will help anyone but it sure worked for me. My desk top was caught in the round about screen with keyboard language selection and neither my USB mouse or keyboard were active. I downloaded from my laptop a file called Media creation Tool from Microsoft onto a USB flash drive. With a few questions and selections was able to complete the tool for another device. Put the USB drive into my stuck desktop and selected repair computer and then selected USB drive. Restarted desk top and couldn't get the BIOS screen. Shut computer down and unplugged AC power cable and plugged it back in. Restarted desk top and got the F10 prompt and selected the USB drive to boot first. Restarted desk top and booted thru the USB drive. Got to a window that said unplug USB drive and restart Windows normally. Just left the USB drive in place and restarted desktop normally. After a little while my Windows 10 and all applications loaded like normal. I ran a file check and a registry repair tool and corrected what errors they found, rebooted desk top and it was like brand new or like it was before being stuck with keyboard screen. I have saved the USB drive with the Media Creation Tool because I have had several problems with Windows 10 loading. I hope this helps people stuck in a repeat window and Windows 10 not loading. Worked like a charm for me. I was ready to do a complete new install and this returned me to my desk top with all applications working. Yee-Hah!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 04:12 PM

I ran a file check and a registry repair tool and corrected what errors they found...

Glad you solved your issue.  Do you mind telling us the name of the registry repair tool?

#3 boomdig

boomdig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 07:20 PM

I went a little bit crazy but after a lot of research found that Registry First Aid was the most complete, yet harmless program out there. I think I paid like 30 bucks for it but it really does the job and leaves the Windows 10 start menu alone. I had been using RegServo that pretty much worked as well but found it to cause some problems. Their tech support was the best I have dealt with so that would be a strong second choice.

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:04 AM

boomdig, when I asked about what registry tool you use, I really wanted to get an idea of what you were doing with the registry.  Windows, and its registry, will get along quite well without your having to "clean" or "tune" it up.  In fact, fooling around with the registry can have regrettable consequences.  Bleeping Computer does not support the use of registry cleaner and optimizers.  See this...

#5 boomdig

boomdig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:50 PM

Hey Agouti, you asked what registry tool I used and I told you. I don't agree that a "cleaner" should never be used. It's just my opinion and my choice to use one. I tried to get the best and least invasive tool out there and am quite happy with it when used sparingly. 

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:49 AM

No problem if you don't agree.  By continuing to use Registry First Aid or RegServo, you accept the risk.  I was just trying to give you some good advice but you don't have to follow it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users