Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 not detecting Sat Nav

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 andrew193

andrew193

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 01:38 PM

Just bought a Garmin nuvi 56 LMT sat nav. Downloaded Garmin Express software to update everything but have found that it's not being detected on "Device's". Tried using another USB cable just in case the one provided is faulty but no joy and all other USB things are being detected so it's not my laptop i presume.

Any ideas what the problem may be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 02:43 PM

I am not sure this will work but try installing Garmin's USB drivers.  I would create a restore point before installing. It's possible this is a Windows 10 issue. Do you have another computer with an earlier OS?

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=591#Instruct

#3 andrew193

andrew193
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 04:14 PM

I am not sure this will work but try installing Garmin's USB drivers.  I would create a restore point before installing. It's possible this is a Windows 10 issue. Do you have another computer with an earlier OS?

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=591#Instruct

Tried that but unfortunaley didn't work and still not detecting. :(

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 04:20 PM

With the device attached are there any yellow exclamation marks next to any device in Device Manager?

Have you tried all USB ports on the computer?

It's possible the device is drawing more power than the computer can provide. Do you have a powered USB hub?

#5 andrew193

andrew193
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:51 AM

With the device attached are there any yellow exclamation marks next to any device in Device Manager?

Have you tried all USB ports on the computer?

It's possible the device is drawing more power than the computer can provide. Do you have a powered USB hub?

There are no yellow exclamation marks and tried different USB ports with the same effect the leaflet that came with it says not to use a hub but havn't got a powered one anyway.

Tried it on another laptop and thats not detecting it as well so wondering if the satnav maybe faulty.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:39 AM

Was the other computer Windows 10? If not then I would have to say it's the Sat Nav. I would RMA if under warranty.

Edit: Have you contacted Garmin Support?

http://www.garmin.com/us/support/contact?#fragment-1

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 May 2016 - 07:40 AM.

#7 andrew193

andrew193
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 12:12 PM

Was the other computer Windows 10? If not then I would have to say it's the Sat Nav. I would RMA if under warranty.

Edit: Have you contacted Garmin Support?

http://www.garmin.com/us/support/contact?#fragment-1

Yes JohnC_21 both laptops are Win 10

#8 andrew193

andrew193
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:45 AM

Tried it this morning on my work PC and detected it straight away so begining to wonder if not enough power on my laptop USB port to run it. Going to borrow a powered hub to see if that makes any difference.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:05 AM

Was the work PC also Windows 10? If not I think it's possible the plug and play drivers for the device are not Windows 10 compatible.

#10 andrew193

andrew193
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:23 AM

Tried it again this morning when i got back in and it was detected straight away !!! Must have been some king of glitch so now a happy bunny. :)

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:00 AM

Being a computer, it doesn't surprise me one bit. Glad you are in business and thanks for the update.

#12 chris-t

chris-t

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:24 AM

I've had this problem for some time and I've just solved it. Both my Sat Nav and my phone will connect fine to the various laptop and desktop computers I use, but not my windows 10 PC. I tried every USB port, different cables, and finally bought a USB hub with external power supply. Both Sat Nav and phone will connect fine through the hub, though I have no idea why. I bought the cheapest £10 Amazon hub I could find !

#13 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,678 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:36 AM

Just FYI, I had precisely the same issue with a Garmin 2750LMT immediately after its last software update.

It stopped being recognized on two of my three Win10 machines for several days.  One day I managed to get it to be recognized on one of them and another software update was applied, and it's unusual for Garmin to push multiple software updates in rapid succession.  After that update was applied it was recognized again.  I think they introduced a bug, and an intermittent one, that they then fixed.

It was really frustrating that the device was recognized long enough to apply that initial software update, which caused it to be flaky about being recognized after, which blocked map updating once the maps had been downloaded since the PC couldn't communicate to the device anymore.

Generally a Garmin unit, once plugged in to a USB port, never goes to sleep during an update process.  I knew that something had gone wrong when it did so during the time when the maps were downloading but it was still connected to the computer.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users