Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash drive deletion question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Alex411

Alex411

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 01:30 PM

So I'm about to backup some new files, but I want to get rid of the old stuff on the drive. I just wanted to know if I'm also supposed to delete this thing called MediaID.bin. I was going to delete the primary data, then File history and then just leave SystemMechanicPrem alone. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 02:07 PM

See the 1st answer here by  arnavsharma re MediaID.bin.  As for System Mechanic Premium, Bleeping Computer does not support the use of registry cleaners and optimizers.  See...

#3 Alex411

Alex411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 02:21 PM

See the 1st answer here by  arnavsharma re MediaID.bin.  As for System Mechanic Premium, Bleeping Computer does not support the use of registry cleaners and optimizers.  See...

I just sort of thought the flash drive needed that System Mechanic thing since it came already on the drive. So I wasn't going to delete it. But, now after looking at that I'm too afraid to use CCleaner. Lol great

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 02:46 PM

What do you mean by "too afraid to use CCleaner"?  Just don't use the registry cleaner in CCleaner.

#5 Alex411

Alex411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 02:57 PM

Yeah I got that, I wont be using it. I guess nothing came of using it since i haven't noticed any issues. But anyway, I guess I should leave MediaID alone as well? I looked at that page and it seems to just point to not deleting it. However, I still don't know what to do with System mechanic because it wasn't mentioned in the link you posted, and it was bundled software.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:03 PM

However, I still don't know what to do with System mechanic because it wasn't mentioned in the link you posted, and it was bundled software.

Because it is bundled software, you can safely get rid of System Mechanic. It is not necessary for the use of whatever it is pre-installed on.

#7 Alex411

Alex411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:12 PM

However, I still don't know what to do with System mechanic because it wasn't mentioned in the link you posted, and it was bundled software.

Because it is bundled software, you can safely get rid of System Mechanic. It is not necessary for the use of whatever it is pre-installed on.

Thank you  :thumbup2:

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:43 AM

"So I'm about to backup some new files..."

Exactly what is it that you are backing your data onto?

Edited by RolandJS, 10 June 2016 - 07:44 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users