Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have To Restart PC Daily During Games PLEASE HELP!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 WigglyWally

WigglyWally

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 09:31 AM

For a while now I have had the Asus GTX 750Ti OC Edition and it had been working out great. But ever since I started playing a game called Unturned, I would play a bit  then the audio would hang in a buzzing noise or it would make a buzzing noise at different frequencies, the monitor would lose signal and I would have to restart the PC by holding down the power button. After I restart the computer and play the game for a bit, the display driver will crash and recover in what seems like 5-10 minute intervals from then on and I would have to restart the game. This occurs every single day and I have no idea why and I am becoming increasingly frustrated by this annoying problem. I have updated graphics drivers and reinstalled them to no avail. Once I even removed the GPU for a few days and played the same game and the problem didn't occur again until I put the GPU back in. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

-EDIT: I put a desk fan at full power blowing into the empty fan hole in the back of the computer and the drivers still crashed and recovered so it isn't overheating. Up until it crashes, the GPU log says it reached 70 degrees, I'm assuming it is in Celsius. I am absolutely bewildered as to what is happening so please, help me diagnose this problem.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 May 2016 - 10:14 AM.
since this appears to be a hardware issue, moved from Windows 10 Support to Internal Hardware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:41 AM

70C is not bad on a GPU card being worked hard.  You have done a good job ruling out so far BTW.

In addition to the nVidia driver, I would update the BIOS to the last revision for the MB.  Then I would update all the drivers starting with the chipset driver.  Then with the system up to date if you are still getting hammered I would say it is time to contact nVidia and the game maker about this issue.  They cannot blame it on your setup.  Your GPU is more than adequate to play that game.  This strikes me as a bug. 

You can play the game without the GPU so the rest of your unspecified system seems adequate. 

If you opened up the side and blow air from the fan into the case that way I would be more inclined to dismiss a cooling issue, since the rear fan hole is for exhaust not disruptively blowing cool air into.  Of course installing a fan out of there might help keep the card cooler.

You could try stressing the GPU independently with some dx apps:

Video Card Stability Test (Freestone)

Additionally this can test video RAM and card. (trial is free)

These are GPU testing apps.  There may be better (newer) ones now (DirX12).  If Unturned uses DirX more than OpenGL or vice versa then you know which to use (pick one).
MSI Kombuster = GPU
Heaven = GPU (DirX11)
OCCT = CPU + GPU (PSU load test)** dangerous on low quality PSUs
AvP Benchmark (GPU, DirX11)
Furmark = GPU (OpenGL)
Tessmark = GPU (OpenGL)

If you cannot get the card to fail similarly then that points to a bug in the game.  Usually both Nvidia and the game maker are interested in eliminating those. 

If you can get the card to fail then I would first suspect heat (running HWMonitor in the background keeping a log file can help if you stop before the hang to save the log).  If it is overheating (consult nVidia/ASUS) then adding a exhaust fan to that open port may fix or buying a better designed gaming case.  If not heat then maybe PSU or card defect.

Edited by Fascist Nation, 16 May 2016 - 10:49 AM.

#3 WigglyWally

WigglyWally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:17 PM

Thank you so much for the detailed response, this will give me much to look into and see exactly what may be causing the problem.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users