Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 repair disc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 btka

btka

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 08:34 AM

Hi guys

A friend of mines PC which I built is not booting after a few power failures in quick succession.
I suggested he boot with is Win 7 os disc and run a repair. It however says its the wrong disc.

Is there a windowa 7 repair disc that will fix all versions of Windows 7?

I had one the booted from a flash drive and often worked where normal win 7 os discs did not but I have lost that flash drive.
My friend is a pastor and lives in the boonies and battles to get anywhere where there are computer repair places.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 08:39 AM

You should be able to create a system repair disk on any Windows 7 computer with the same version as your friend's. 

Have him right click Computer > Properties. This will give the version of Windows and the SP if any.

Edit: Can he access Advanced Boot Options by tapping F8 at boot. In that menu is a listing Use Last Known Good Configuration.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 May 2016 - 08:40 AM.

#3 btka

btka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 08:41 AM

Hi John unfortunately his computer wont boot so that option is not available 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 08:51 AM

It does power on though, correct? One thing to try is powercycling the computer. Remove the power cord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power cord and reboot.

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:27 PM

Repair discs have to match either 32 or 64 bit.  You can create either or both, but the one you boot has to match what the system you boot it on has.  It sounds like maybe that wasn't the case and that's why you got the error message.  CD-Rs are pretty cheap (about a dime last I looked), so I'd just make one or two of each and see which one works if your friend doesn't know which his PC has.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users