Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Online armor uninstall help please

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pcblues

pcblues

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 08:23 AM

Hello ,

I've missed the bulletin about Online armor demise. seems I need to uninstall it asap, please advise the best way of doing this !

I have Online Armor on two computers
Lenovo Thinkpad E530 Win8.1 64 bit and a desktop pc Win7 Home premium 64 bit

Any recommendations for a similar firewall ?

I have seen comments about the win 8.1 firewall doing an excellent job, would that be sufficient ?  If yes, whats the best way to set it up.

Also whats the best  firewall for the win 7 desktop ?

Thanks in advance  !!

pcblues

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:15 AM

Hi there,

I suggest that you post in the Other Emsisoft products section of the Emsisoft Support Forum. The staff will walk you through detailed instructions on how to uninstall Online Armor.

In terms of replacement firewalls, HIPS firewalls are rare and usually unnecessary - so using the Windows Firewall from 7 and later is sufficient for home user security.

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:48 AM

To add to what Sintharius said, I have never done any kind of setting up for Windows firewall except for those occasions when Windows pops up a notice.

#4 pcblues

pcblues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:15 PM

Hi Sintharius & Agouti

Thanks for the response ..  I did have a quick look at the  Emisoft forum , the only relevant suggestion I found was to uninstall in Safe mode , a method I'm trying to avoid ,  some time ago I had some issues and tried Safe mode but the system got stuck in a loop and couldn't go back to normal boot. I choose the " refresh system" option that took me back to Win 8 and lost all my programs.. It was a painful experience I don't wish to repeat.

When I try to uninstall Online Armor the usual way, it asks for a password , a PW  I don't ever recall making .

Disabled Online armor for now and took a closer look at Windows Firewall and found heaps of stuff having access , programs I have no clue about and  to the best of my knowledge no use to me.

For example a few unknowns :

Check Point VPN

F5 VPN

File and Printer sharing public & domain

Sonic Wall Mobile Connect

Play to functionality ( Qwave)

Play to SSDP  Discovery

Play to streaming server HTTP

Play to streaming server  RTPC ( streaming in )  &  RTSP

Play to UpNp events ( TCP in )

Juniper Networks Junos Pulse

Juniper Networks Junos Pulse VPN

For the record I have UpNp disabled in my WiFi Router.. and now @ Win firewall as well .

Also..some programs when connection issues happen want to create a " dump file"  Online Armor always gave me an option to  block it, Windows Firewall does no such thing .

I'd be interested to hear your opinion and suggestions.Thanks in advance !

Cheers , pcblues

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:48 AM

Hi there,

I do suggest that you sign up for the Emsisoft Support Forum and post a new thread asking to remove Online Armor - the staff has very fast response time and is extremely helpful. Following other people's solutions is usually not recommended as every machine is unique.

About the dump file: Online Armor has HIPS (Host Intrusion Prevention System) which reports on all ongoing activities in the machine and offers the user the ability to control them. In the right hands it can be very powerful, but for most normal users it is very confusing and can lead to security breaches if used improperly.

You can use this tutorial to managed allowed programs in the Windows Firewall.

Hope this helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users