Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scratchy Mouse

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 pendejo

pendejo

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:05 PM

My mouse is becoming harder to maneuver around on the mouse pad. It has a grainy, jerky, halting, scratchy feeling when I move it around on the pad, making it frustrating to place the mouse pointer where I want it. It's still perfectly usable but it's rocky and doesn't glide smoothly on the pad like it should.

I initially thought dust or debris on the bottom of the mouse or on the pad might be the problem. I cleaned them but it didn't help. I'm not very computer savvy. The mouse and pad is probably 10 years old. I'm wondering if the mouse is wearing out, or if the surface on the pad is wearing thin.

Would sincerely appreciate any advice or suggestions. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:16 PM

It has to be a ball mouse for this to happen. it happens to me too. i eat here sometimes and some of the crumbs or whatever get on the mousepad and it makes it hard for the mouse to move. id say open up the bottom and feel around. there are 3 sides to the inside of the mouse. they are little roller things. if you feel something on them, you want to get it off. i would imagine a q tip would remove any non sticky debris.

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:17 PM

Hi pendejo.

Just cleaning your mouseball won't fix your problem. You need to take out the ball and carefully remove the dust which wraps around the two axles inside. Careful use with a long pin will do the job so the axles can spin freely.

If your mouse has done a good job for ten years, it may be time to look at one of the newer ones which have a lot of good features.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:22 PM

There are typically three rollers in a ball mouse. Two look like small rolling pins (use your imagination) and one is a wheel.
Take a small pen knife and gently scrape off all the gunk on them.
All the way around all three rollers until they appear clean
If that doent work, a new mouse is easily under $10 bucks.
Might be time for a new one

Edited by Eyesee, 07 August 2006 - 06:23 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:37 PM

I would suggest you move up to an optical mouse which can still be had very cheaply.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:30 PM

What's an optical mouse?

You won't believe the picture that pops into my mind: a mouse wearing glasses.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 killer_kyle

killer_kyle

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 10:50 PM

What's an optical mouse?

^^A mouse that uses a laser instead of a traditonal mouse that uses a ball, I believe.

Like the others said you just scrape off the gunk, I've found the tweezers work the best on mine.

Posted Image

#8 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:20 PM

Hey Orange Blossom;

What's an optical mouse?

FYI,this is s good article on Optical Mice.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:36 PM

Thanks TMack :thumbsup: ,

So that's the kind of mouse they're using here at I.U. I'd wondered what that red light was. Most of them are wired. There are a few wireless ones around, but about half the people I know that have used one wind up swearing, if silently, at those - including me; however, this was during class presentations with the computer screen shown on the big screen - the kind that rolls up so there were additional geography issues involved.

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:04 AM

They are available both wired and wireless.
I personally prefer the wired type, less problematic.

#11 pendejo

pendejo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:36 AM

Many thanks to all of you for responses and help. Great forum! I'm not very computer savvy or technical, so I suppose I'd best not fiddle around with trying to clean the mouse. I was browsing around on the Net. They don't cost as much as I thought. There's so many, many different kinds. Optical mice, wireless mice, three button mice, etc. The one I'm using right now is a corded Logitech with a right and left click button (I guess they're called buttons) and a scroll wheel. I want to keep it simple, so I guess I'll take it with me to Staples or Circuit City and try to find a replacement. My teenaged son installed this computer several years ago and has since moved away. The intrigue of seeing the idle computer in his room finally overwhelmed me with curiosity so I decided to try to turn it on, buy a manual and begin the long, agonizing self-taught, frustrating, learning process. I still screw up on a daily basis and get into pickles that takes hours to get out of. The Word processor is the most challenging. This computer has been super-rewarding and opened up a whole new world of entertainment and knowledge. I found this friendly forum while poking around on the Net.

Well, enough of, and I apologize for my personal rant. In case there are any newbies on here, I just want to encourage them to stick to the learning process -- it's well worth it. :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

Thanks again to all.

#12 bandaid1968

bandaid1968

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:52 AM

good luck on your new toy pendejo i wish you the best

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:52 AM

The Mouses are pretty standard. They plug into two kinds of ports though - a PS2 port which is round, and a USB port. Most come with an adapter so they can plug into either port.

Use the P2 port as USB doesn't work until Windows fully boots with most motherboards.

I suggest something like a Logitech optical mouse with a scrolling wheel which I have seen for as little as $12 - $29.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users