Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mysterious humming noise.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Alex411

Alex411

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 01:21 AM

So I just started hearing this humming noise coming from my laptop. It's quick and it doesn't last long. It'll hum twice and then I wont hear it again for a while. It's not a buzz or a beep. I can't readily identify what's making the noise. Even when I listen at different angles I have no idea where it's coming from. I was hoping someone might have a theory as to what's going on.

HP Pavilion 
Windows 10

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:08 AM

Hard disk?

#3 Alex411

Alex411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 01:05 PM

Are HDD's known to hum? I thought it was sort of limited to scratching and clicking sounds. Someone I asked about it thinks it's the fan revving or changing speeds. If that were the case, I was wondering if it's anything to be concerned about. I have just used some compressed air to blow everything out. 

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 02:16 PM

Are HDD's known to hum? I thought it was sort of limited to scratching and clicking sounds. Someone I asked about it thinks it's the fan revving or changing speeds. If that were the case, I was wondering if it's anything to be concerned about. I have just used some compressed air to blow everything out. 

I have 6 HDD's. 3 inside case and in use, 3 unused. 3 HDD's make loud humming noise, 3 are silent. Guess which HDD's are in use :grinner:

Fan changing speeds are quite normal if fan is thermally controlled. However that should not make humming noise unless fan is broken or getting broke.

Also another option is resonance that can be caused any unit that vibrates (fan, HDD).

#5 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:18 AM

Might want to run the HDD maker's diagnostic app on the HDD.

Might want to run HWMonitor and see what it says about your system fans, heating, etc.

Might want to go to your laptop maker's support site and see if any BIOS revisions or firmware updates fixed hums on HDDs or fans. 

#6 Alex411

Alex411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:13 PM

I checked the HDD and it's alright and I checked HP's site for updates about the issue and didn't see anything about it. So far, no more humming/revving noise. Perhaps it just needs to be blown out every so often. Thanks for all the suggestions.  :thumbup2:

#7 Alex411

Alex411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:11 PM

Annnnd the noise is back after a short hiatus. 

The Hp forums suggested I flash the BIOS and then see if that fixes the issue. However, my PC professor once told me that if anything goes wrong during that process, I've just got an expensive brick. Should I go for it?

Edited by Alex411, 18 May 2016 - 12:16 PM.

#8 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:14 PM

... I have no idea where it's coming from.

Could there be a disk (CD/DVD) in the optical drive?

And HDDs can hum if unbalanced, or worn/defective bearings.

Edited by bludgard, 18 May 2016 - 01:15 PM.

#9 Alex411

Alex411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:23 PM

Nope, no cd's in the drive. I guess it could be defective, but I think that aspect would have shown up a lot earlier when I first got it maybe. I don't even mind the sound, it's just that I know that weird noises coming from your pc need to be investigated if they come out of nowhere. 

#10 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:18 PM

if one does not have an SSD; the only moving parts in a PC is fan, HDD and optical drive, AFAIK. Not sure if there are any other pieces/parts that can create a "humming" noise/sound.?.?

Any way a sound byte can be uploaded and made access to?

I really do not see any point in flashing BIOS to remedy this.

Can the HDD be removed and the machine booted from CD/DVD, FDD or other bootable media to eliminate the possibilities of culprits?

Edit: This "humming" if caused by unbalance (from whatever source) would be a harmonic distortion thing.\: Mechanical... not related to file system or code.

I have had some on-board power regulators or resistors (whatever) make some noises in a few laptops that is akin to the sound of welding or egg frying frequency. These machines still run after years of normal to moderate-high use.

Edited by bludgard, 18 May 2016 - 10:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users