Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spywareblaster Has Spyware?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 zemoman

zemoman

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:41 PM

I was just reading in "How to keep your computer safe" forum on bleepingcomputer. As I was reading I ran into a paragraph that said to download spywareblaster and how it stopped spyware from getting on your computer in the first place, it sounded good and I know alot of people that use it, so I went to download.com and downloaded it. Everything wentt perfect until I clicked "enable full protection", all of a sudden stopzilla detected 9 threats coming from spywareblaster, so i delted them and restarted my computer and then stopzilla detected 2 more things that were coolweb stuff so I got rid of them and removed spywareblaster off my computer. Is this program bad? Alot of people use it and are they aware of the spyware/adware on it? And last of all is it still safe to download?

THANKS IN ADVANCE TO ANYONE WHO ANSWERS! :thumbsup:

Mod Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 07 August 2006 - 04:49 PM.

ROOTKITS BAD!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:16 PM

Possibility 1: Your stopzilla may have been recognizing items in the database that SpywareBlaster guards against, and when you unintalled maybe part of that database stayed behind.

Possibility 2: Where did you download it from? You may have downloaded a program with a similar name.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:49 PM

What happened is you probably got false positives from Stopzilla.

Spywareblaster from javacoolsoftware.com is completely safe and what Stopzilla probably picked up were the definitions files Spywareblaster uses to detect spyware.

You should have not deleted anything that came from Spywareblaster.

Now you need to uninstall Spywareblaster, reboot and then reinstall it if you still want it. It is an excellent program that provides good protection.

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 02:45 AM

It is probably a good idea to also run SpywareGuard in conjunction with SpywareBlaster. It is a sister programme and will provide you with 'realtime' protection.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:04 PM

StopZilla goes false positive crazy; at least, that was what happened when I decided to give it a shot with Spyware Blaster, HOSTs Secure, and Spyware Guard on my computer. It ran through about 500 error warnings before I finally got annoyed and uninstalled it. Spyware Blaster and all other Java Cool software are excellent freeware (most of them are) that do not infect your computer, but attempt to stop you from getting infected or lured into a malware trap of some sort.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#6 zemoman

zemoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:36 PM

ok well I unistalled spyware blaster but i think ill fgive it another try since i here its so good :thumbsup:. I just hope i dont get over annoyed with pop ups from stopzilla and have to uninstall spywareblaster again :flowers:. THANK YOU ALL!
ROOTKITS BAD!

#7 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:44 PM

Hi zemoman.

Seems to be Stopzilla that's causing the aggro, why not get rid of that?

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,942 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:52 PM

I agree, you don't want a program that's giving you a bunch of false positives. If it's acting this way with SpywareBlaster, it probably would with Ad-Aware and other good security programs as well.

I'd stick with SpywareBlaster and get something to replace the Stopzilla.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,608 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:15 PM

Yeah, I would get rid of Stopzilla before I would SpywareBlaster.

It might help if you learned a little more about how these apps work. Because it is one of the most effective preventative measures to take, we recommend SpywareBlaster and Grinler has written a tutorial about it: Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

Basically SB blocks known malicious ActiveX and webites by writing certain information to the registry. What is blocked has to be written into that reg info, for example, coolwebsearch.

Unlike most antispyware scanners, Stopzilla concentrates on blocking threats as well. They claim it is too dangerous to try to remove them once on the machine.

So what probably happened is, since malware also has to modify the registry, Stopzilla saw there was a change taking place and there was text in that change for a known baddie. if their programming was worth its salt, they would know that it is not just the presence of the word Coolwebsearch, but what is actually being done with the reg change--that it is blocking it, not installing it.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#10 zemoman

zemoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:59 PM

well you see the thing is i have NIS 2006 and ad-aware but it doesnt give me any false positives. I thought it was a really good program but now that I know it gives of false positives ITS GONE!

ONCE AGAIN THANKS TO YOU ALL
ROOTKITS BAD!

#11 zemoman

zemoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 11:28 PM

Hi the other day i downloaded spywareblaster i had heard it was a really good spyware detector, so i downloaded it, installed it, etc. So when i opened it a little help thing came up telling you how to run the program and stuff like that, it told me to press the ACTIVATE PROTECTION button. When i clicked that stopzilla went crazy with all this spyware such as: coolweb, dollarrevanue, and stuff like that so i deleted them of my computer and restrted my computer then stopzilla went crazy again with all these false spyware alerts. Iv been warned about this spyware coming from spywareblaster. when i turn of spywareblater the spyware alerts from stopzilla stop coming up, and when i turn on spywareblaster... you get it. So the only question im asking is, is this do to a malfuntion in stopzilla or is that just the way it acts giving of false spyware threats??????

THANKS IN ADVANCE! :thumbsup:
ROOTKITS BAD!

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,942 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 11:42 PM

stopzilla is giving you false positives. Apparently that program cannot tell the difference between definition files in a protection program and the real thing. I'd suggest getting a replacement for stopzilla. See Papakid's post within this topic for more detailed information and a link too good security products, but isn't this what you posted about when you opened the topic to begin with?

Edited by Orange Blossom, 15 August 2006 - 11:44 PM.

Orange Blossom

#13 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 11:44 PM

I'm guessing here, but I would think that Stopzilla is picking up the protection database from SpywareBlaster.
Try turning off Stopzilla while you install SB.

What works for me is in my sig - below. Plenty of stopping power and also realtime protection.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#14 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 11:52 PM

I also advise you to get rid of stopzilla. I have seen it installed on a few machines that I have worked on, it said that they were spyware free(It detected nothing), yet spybot s&d detected and removed over 500 nasties.

btw, when I tried to run spybot on the first machine that I saw stopzilla on, it detected spybot as spyware.

Edited by oldf@rt, 15 August 2006 - 11:52 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users