Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bidding for Gun Used to Kill Trayvon Martin Reaches $65M

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 03:16 PM

United Gun Group is now hosting the auction.
In a statement on Twitter they defended the sale of the gun on their site. They were "truly sorry" for the Martin family's loss but said it was their goal to "defend liberty".
"Unless the law has been violated, it is the intention of the United Gun Group to allow its members to use any of the available features. While not always popular this is where we stand."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36281438

Edited by Queen-Evie, 16 May 2016 - 12:12 PM.
moved from General Chat to Speak Easy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,523 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 06:42 PM

Anybody else question the seriousness/validity of this 'auction'? Just sayin...

Auction_Detail_George_Zimmerman_s_Gun_us

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Agouti

Agouti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:25 PM

I agree that anybody would pay $65M is quite difficult to believe, however, it may very well sell for much, much more than its store value.  After all, according to an analysis by Nick Bryant, BBC North America correspondent in the same article, Zimmerman once sold an American flag for $100,000. just because he painted some words on it.

This is not the first time that Zimmerman has sought to cash in on his notoriety. His first painting of an American flag, emblazoned with the words "God One Nation with Liberty and Justice For All," sold on eBay for the staggering sum of $100,000. But it did not impress critics, who called it "primitive" and "appalling."

Yikes!  I think I'm gonna paint me some flags.

Edited by Agouti, 13 May 2016 - 07:29 PM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:56 PM

It is not $65M anymore.

That bid was removed.

http://www.cnet.com/news/george-zimmerman-finds-new-auction-website-to-sell-gun-that-killed-trayvon-martin/

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 08:01 AM

Lol Zimmerman's gun auction gets trolled: http://www.rawstory.com/2016/05/bids-for-the-gun-that-george-zimmerman-used-to-kill-trayvon-martin-rocket-past-53-million/

Fake bidders with names like Weedlord Bonerhitler, Racist McShootface, and Donald Trump helped drive George Zimmerman’s gun auction past $65 million on Friday morning, according to News 965. The site later showed that the fake accounts had been deleted.

Online bids for the gun, which had an initial reserve price of $5,000 — already far above the market value of a secondhand weapon — rocketed overnight Thursday and into Friday after it was listed on unitedgungroup.com, with five days left to go in the sale.

However, it was difficult to verify the validity of the bids, with participants using obvious pseudonyms and seemingly bidding against themselves as the price climbed past $53 million.

The auction site did not appear to have any restrictions on who could bid for the weapon and did not request down payments.

#6 Agouti

Agouti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:05 AM

I just went to the auction listing and it appears to have been deleted...

AhXMrKA.png

#7 EimGhey

EimGhey

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:40 AM

Well frankly he does see himself as victim and the fact is it wasn't a hate crime... It was two very immature people who got in a fight.. Travon is partly to blame but Zimmerman was an adult and should have know better then provoke a teenager... I mean when I was teen I would fight anyone... Adults need to be held responsible when they hurt kids even when the kid is partly at fault cuz adults are supposed to know better!

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:11 PM

It works both ways. Kids don't have any business provoking adults. Unfortunately there are a lot of thugs who do provoke others, which can lead to the kid getting hurt. Some of those who are provoked try to walk away, but the thugs won't let them.

If the kid gets hurt or killed it is entirely his/her fault. Adults who legitimately defend themselves should not be held responsible for what happens to the kid, who got what he deserved.

Also unfortunately, the families of the kids will claim "he was a good kid. He did not deserve to be shot (or beat to bloody pulp or whatever was done to him".

A "good kid" would not go around robbing and stealing or shooting someone else over something stupid. They make a choice to do commit a crime and as such they better be able to accept the consequences if it goes wrong for them.

Break into my house and you will find yourself looking down the barrel of a gun, which might get fired at you.

#9 Agouti

Agouti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:34 PM

I believe what's really unfortunate is there were only two witnesses - George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin.  Martin is dead so the jury only had Zimmerman's testimony to go on.  As I see it, to insinuate that either Zimmerman or Martin is to blame, is wrong.  Only God and Zimmerman truly knows what happened on that faithful day.

#10 EimGhey

EimGhey

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:48 PM

Erm the thing is kids have worse judgment... That is reason... and don't be offended... We have age of consent laws...

Travon by the way was not, "robbing or stealing" he was coming home with skittles and iced tea.. I used to go out and get ice cream and orange juice to make my favorite smoothie. Are you saying if some fat man had randomly stalked my teenage self if I got in fight with him and he killed me he should have got off the hook.

Thank you Jesus the Lord made me white so that if I get killed randomly at least I will get justice!

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,523 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:46 PM

The weapon sale has been removed from the website. Therefore this topic has run it's course. This topic is not for a debate regarding the merits and failings of a concluded trial. That subject matter is for The Speak Easy forum, if any one wishes to start that topic. This topic is now closed.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 04:11 PM

Even though Animal locked this topic, I want to get in the last word.

I was speaking in GENERAL TERMS. In no way did I mention Zimmerman and Martin.

One member failed to comprehend that I said KIDS who do the PROVOKING.

That is a totally different scenario than someone stalking your sister and you have the right to defend her since you were not the aggressor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users