Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC overheats after shutting down

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SMICAT

SMICAT

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:41 PM

Hey guys, I'm having this weird problem after i applied my thermal paste and everything is okay i started the PC and the CPU temp was perfect, after i shut it down and try to turn it on again the CPU goes to a crazy level that i have to remove the cooling unit , re apply the thermal paste and start it again.

the problems keeps repeating 

any solution ?

My PC specs are :

CPU :Intel I7 5960X (i didnt overclock it yet)

RAM :64GB Corsair Vengence 2400mhz

Graphic Card: Nvidia TitanX

Cooling unit: Corsair H110i GTX

Thermal Paste: Arctic MX-4

Case : Corsair Graphite Series 780T

MotherBoard: Asus Rampage V extreme

Edited by SMICAT, 13 May 2016 - 02:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 03:26 PM

I suspect you are not getting proper seating of the CPU heatsink and it is "cooking off".  There should be very little clearance on top of the CPU and the heatsink, only a small teardrop sized dab is needed and spread very thin.

Edited by mjd420nova, 13 May 2016 - 03:26 PM.

#3 SMICAT

SMICAT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:23 PM

i did that ! i actually tried different methods (i did that more than 7) times and always the same problem. what weird is , its really perfect on the first start but as soon as i shut it down its all messed up

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:06 PM

Perhaps too much thermal paste?  Just a wild guess...too much is akin to too little when it comes to system cooling, IMO.

Louis

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 05:42 PM

The only way I see this happening as described would be that the heat sink and CPU surfaces are not flat or there is a gap between.  This would allow the paste to heat beyond its ability to remain stable and it cooks off.  The thing is, while running, the fans keep it cool enough but when shut down, the residual heat is cooking the paste.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users