Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build - Won't Fire Up!! Help!!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jeepwk2

jeepwk2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:15 PM

I've been in the field for a long time now, and this is bringing me to wits end. I have absolutely NO idea what I am doing wrong... So I am resorting to coming to you all for help.

Specs:

ASUS 970 PRO Gaming/Aura Motherboard

AMD FX8350 Vishera Processor

Corsair Dominator 16GB 1600mhz DDR3 Ram
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU fan
EVGA Superbova 850 modular power suppler
nVidia QuadroFX 5800 4gb Video Card

Symptoms:
After assembling everything into an NZXT case, I connected it to my dual 24" LED monitor setup and fired it up. Everything came on fine, both power inputs on the video card showed with green lights, fans spun up, sounded like it was booting fine. However, the screens never came on. I swapped the card to a 1gb test card that I know works, nothing changed. Swapped the motherboard, still the same thing happens. Swapped the case (because the NZXT was far too large), still the same thing.

I don't know what to do next! I really don't understand what I am not even getting a BIOS/Post screen.

Any thoughts folks?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:22 PM

Back in my old computer company phone tech [as an employee] days, if no post/no boot, then it's back to motherboard, power supply post test, watching/listening for whatever beep[s]; MB, PSU, keyboard post test; adding memory mod one at a time - post test; keep adding one internal item at a time - post test [certain beeps and sounds should be heard]; MB, PSU, HD [one only at a time], keyboard, monitor [one at a time] post/boot test.  Eventually, cd-dvd drive gets tested, mouse get tested; ensure UEFI or BIOS can be entered at proper time; and so on.  

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 jeepwk2

jeepwk2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:36 PM

I will probably have to pull everything out and bench test it piece by piece. I initially thought it was a really power hungry setup (140w processor and powerful video card) but I was assured that 850w is more than enough.

In terms of the beeps... I don't believe I have a speaker. Should I rig something up somehow?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,654 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:53 PM

There is a speaker header on the MB. See page 1-24 of the manual. You can order one of these. You can find one locally at a computer shop if you need it in a hurry.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=computer+motherboard+speaker&_sop=15

Have you tried the computer without dual monitors? Just to confirm, you attached the CPU power connector to the MB, correct? It seems everything was swapped out except the PSU. That may be the issue.

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 May 2016 - 02:54 PM.

#5 jeepwk2

jeepwk2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:58 PM

I actually tried two different power supplies, both had the same results.

Actually I was just researching alternatives and I can rig something up with a normal speaker to hear the POST beeps. I will rig that up after I put my little one to bed tonight.

#6 jeepwk2

jeepwk2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:59 PM

Have you tried the computer without dual monitors? Just to confirm, you attached the CPU power connector to the MB, correct? It seems everything was swapped out except the PSU. That may be the issue.

Yes, tried with one and the other, different DVI cables as well. And yes, the CPU connector is plugged in. I actually had to pull both 120mm exhaust fans out to reach that connector when I initially forgot it.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,654 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 03:09 PM

Definitely strange. I would do as you posted, pull everything from the case and breadboard the components.

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 03:23 PM

Use the MOBO, power supply and keyboard if it is a PS2 type plug and not USB.  Attach a speaker where directed and give that a try, out of the case.  If no go there, the MOBO is suspect.  Too many builds get really strange when standoffs get mis-placed and a short results.  Difficult to find, that's why I always assemble outside the case.  Look in the manual and they should point out where ground points are needed.  Others should be insulated or mounted on plastic standoffs, all secured with nylon screws.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:31 PM

mjd is correct about proper grounding involving all the things mjd indicated.  Another thread somewhere had similar problem -- and it was an accidentally improperly grounded motherboard  :)  Sooooo, thread starter, check mobo for proper grounding  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users