Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't boot past logo screen with bootup USB

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AnStrahan

AnStrahan

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:55 AM

My computer will not boot up all the way. It will show the ACER logo, and then go to a black screen from which it does not recover from.  We have ordered a USB System recovery drive, which does nothing. I have set the USB HDD to be the first item to boot from. I also enabled the F12 boot menu. I tried to let the system boot itself up after changing the bootup sequence in the BIOS.  After that, I used the F12 menu to select the USB HDD to boot up the laptop with no success.

ACER Aspire E 15 Touch E5-511P-C9BM

Windows 8

I am willing to take this thing down to factory settings, wipe everything completely if necessary, nothing is critical to keep on the system.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Drew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 10:40 AM

In UEFI make sure that if you have a setting called Quick or Fast Boot it is disabled. 

I am assuming you tried F12 with the USB recovery drive attached, correct?

If you still cannot get the USB flash drive to boot go here and download the Windows 8.1 using the media creation tool. This will let you create a bootable USB flash drive. See if you can get this USB key to boot.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Edit: Do you need any data off this computer?

Edit Edit:

You may be able to recover your Acer following the steps here. Select Refresh, not Reset. This will preserve any data on the computer along with installed Apps but your installed programs from third parties will need to be reinstalled.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34866/~/how-to-recover-your-computer-if-it-will-not-boot-to-windows

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 May 2016 - 10:45 AM.

#3 Austinsteve

Austinsteve

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 13 May 2016 - 12:13 PM

This worked on my Dell desktop after over an hour of trouble shooting. I tried testing each piece of hardware one at the time by unplugging them from the board. I thought my video card had gone out. Low and behold, static on the power source. Absurd how fickle computers are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users